ten

the homecoming football game had come to an end, finally.

y/n walked alongside rhonda and mr.martin, the rest or the group behind them—well except wally and maddie.

y/n sighed, placing her hands in the pockets of her sweater.

"are you ladies excited for the homecoming dance tomorrow?" mr.martin smiles, making small talk with the two.

"there's only so many of those i can take." y/n replies, rhonda agreeing with her.

"maybe we should go look for a dress in the theater wardrobe tomorrow."

y/n furrows her brows at rhonda, "um, yeah, okay." she agrees with a nod.

an overly excited wally walks up to the group, standing besides y/n.

"enjoy your night?" she questions.

he nods enthusiastically, the smile on his face not fading.

the group walks in silence for a few minutes before the football player speaks again. "i asked maddie to the dance."

rhonda's eyes widen and she looks from wally to y/n, "what?"

"yeah. she said yes." he smiles.

y/n doesn't look up, her eyes remaining on the ground.

wally had never asked any of them, or any other ghosts in the school, to the dance before. they'd always just go together as a whole group.

"oh." charley winces from behind y/n, knowing she had planned on talking to him and finally admitting her feelings. "congrats? i guess." he continued, giving wally a small smile.

[ TOMORROW ]

"any way i could fucking die a second time?"

y/n and rhonda stood in the room, going through the rack of dresses and suits.

rhonda glances at her, "don't be so dramatic." y/n's e/c eyes roll back at her friend's response.

"oh, hey maddie."

maddie makes her way down the steps and towards y/n and rhonda, "hey."

y/n doesn't say anything, just pretends to smile before going back to the dresses.

"ghosts can have allergies. that's good to know." maddie jokes after coughing and sneezing due to the dust in the room.

"yeah, poor charley will never know the glory of a peanut m&m. even dead he still swells up." maddie turns to look at rhonda, "really?!" "yeah."

"so, you thinking dress or suit?"

the short haired blonde grabs a red dress off the rack, holding it up for rhonda and y/n to see, "dress."

"well, that's a statement for a homecoming dance." y/n says, chewing on the peppermint flavored gum in her mouth.

"surprised you'd go frilly. that's really..." rhonda squeals, touching the red, frilly dress.

"i'm surprised you two are going to this thing at all. especially you," she looks at rhonda, "doesn't totally track with you."

"well, how can one revolt if they've never assimilated?"

"weak reasoning," maddie responds to rhonda, "but i'll let it slide. i guess i'm just surprised you guys are throwing yourself into this. you know, wally's acting like it's the first time he's ever even heard of a dance."

"yeah, well he's been going to this thing alone for thirty seven years. so brava, i suppose, for helping him tackle this unfinished business. we don't always get second chances on this side." rhonda tells her.

maddie glances at y/n who is going through a rack behind them, "what about y/n?" she turns around at the hearing of her name and looks at maddie, "what about me?"

"you and wally seem super close, you've never gone to this thing together?"

rhonda suppresses a laugh at maddie's question, knowing it's not funny to anyone but her.

"no. we're just friends." y/n states blankly, earning a look from rhonda.

"okay." maddie shrugs.

a few seconds of silence pass. "i have a question, but you guys can't laugh."

"okay," rhonda and y/n look at each other, "well, we can't guarantee anything, but shoot."

"can ghosts have sex?"

y/n opts not to say anything, as well as trying not to think of every possible scenario that could happen after this dance. she listens to rhonda answer instead.

"yeah, we've been going through puberty for decades. we have need. we have a past, we all do." maddie stays silent. "we all do, right?" silent again.

y/n giggles and finally speaks up, "maddie nears, did you die a virgin?"

just then wally walks down a few steps, standing at the staircase. "uh...hello. i just wanted to come and check in and make sure that, um, with everything going on, finding out that you may have possibly been dragged through a murder tunnel and all that, i wanted to see if you were still up to go to the—i mean, are—do you—"

rhonda and y/n stare at each other, wally taking way too long to ask a simple question.

"to go to the dance?" maddie interrupts, "yeah."

"okay, you are,"

"you're not going to this one alone, wally."

"that's awesome. and i will—" he sprints up the steps without finishing his sentence.

y/n laughs, picking up the dress she had decided on. it was a long, dark blue dress with black mesh on top of it, decent enough for her.

"hey, do you guys mind if i talk to maddie alone for a minute?" charley questions, joining the girls downstairs.

"nope, y/n and i were about to leave." rhonda replies, and with that the two girls are off.

charley and maddie sit and he finally gets the chance to give her the letter he'd written.

"you know once he reads the letter you're gonna have to forgive yourself, right? start living your life or whatever, or living your death."

"live your death. i love that. i'm gonna put that on a t-shirt." charley smiles to which maddie chuckles.

"um, one more thing, this is completely irrelevant. take it with a grain or salt, or whatever," charley speaks, looking at the dark blue dress that hung up waiting to be put on. "y/n won't admit it, but she sorta has a crush on wally."

maddie chuckles again, "yeah, i can tell. why are they not together? they've been stuck with each other for what? like forty years?"

charley laughs, "almost. listen just, i don't know, maybe try to talk to her if you actually like wally." he suggests, smiling slightly as he gets up.

she nods, "okay."

author's note
i don't love this chapter:(
really hope we get a s2 though, i need answerss!