Chapter 2

EUAN

Elle was acting weird. Having known her from the moment she was born, Euan knew that much. For starters, she was asking a lot of bizarre questions.

"What would you do if we can no longer see each other?"

That question scared him. Not once in his life did he think about the possibility of them not being friends anymore. They were too close for that to happen. "Please, Elle. That will never happen. Even if you suddenly disappear one day, I will search the ends of the universe to find you. Why are you suddenly thinking about this? Are you okay?"

Elle smiled, but there was something about the look in her eyes that unsettled Euan. "I recently realised how fleeting life is. You never know when something will happen. Every two seconds, someone in the world dies. It can be a car accident. It can be cancer. Nothing in this world is certain. Now, answer me properly. I'm just curious."

Euan never knew Elle to be such a pessimist, but he gave her question a good thought. A world without Elle. "If you're no longer by my side, my life would fall apart. I've never known a life without Elle Harper, and I don't want to know it." It would be like the Sun had set and never rose again, he'd wanted to add, but he didn't want to sound so dramatic.

"Life has to go on, Euan," she sighed.

"Do you mean you'll move on quickly if I die?" Euan gasped dramatically, gently hovering a hand over his chest.

Elle giggled, wearing a bright smile. It was a smile that could light a room. It was a smile that made countless people fall for her, including Euan himself. "Silly. Do you think that's possible? It's just that I would want you to live on happily after I die. It would break my heart if you were to drown yourself in sorrow."

How can I be happy if you're gone? "Sure. I feel the same way too. You have to stay the same happy girl even without me by your side." Euan would do anything to keep that beautiful smile on his best friend's face.

"Who's your dream girl?" Elle asked.

Euan's heart skipped a beat. That was a stark change of topic. Why did she want to know? He scratched his chin. "Um, I don't know. I don't have one."

"Come on. Okay, if it's awkward to name someone we might know, maybe you can name a celebrity."

"Tori Blake, I guess, but you already knew that." For the past few years, Tori Blake was one of the most popular young actresses in Hollywood. A rising star, people loved her. Euan found her pretty and could see her appeal, but that was it. She was an easy and believable answer to give, one that Elle wouldn't question. After all, no one could match up to Tori Blake. Well, in Euan's opinion, Elle Harper could.

His best friend nodded slowly.

Euan wondered what she thought and why she would suddenly ask that. Did she intend to set him up with his so-called dream girl? Why would she? Was it because she felt bad that he had never dated anyone before? He looked at Elle intently but couldn't draw a conclusion. "What are we watching today?"

"Let's watch 'Sunset'. I feel like watching something sad with a happy ending today."

"Isn't that the movie Tori Blake starred in?"

Elle's eyebrows raised in amusement. "You're a true fan, Mr Golding. I'm impressed. That's one of Tori's recent movies. Starring the biggest stars in the acting and music industries, it's no surprise that this movie was so popular. Her acting was so good here. She's honestly amazing. She's so hard-working and down-to-earth. I love her so much."

Euan nodded in acknowledgement. He toggled the channels and played the movie. He reached forward to the coffee table and grabbed the popcorn bucket and a cookie to feed Elle. "I baked these, your favourites."