CHAPTER 7

During one physical education lesson, the professor told Clive and I to head to the Headmaster's study. My finger had healed within a month but I exercised without my hand. Clive and I ran laps sometimes, even gently practiced swords with our right.

Either way, after nodding we shot each other quick looks. To get called to the Head of the academy was not a common occurrence.

In fact, students would usually cower because they were either getting expelled or their parents would be there.

Clive and I, however, were the best of the crop. We didn't fear it but were confused as we left the huge gymnasium. My guess was that due to the fuss Clive made about my finger getting cut the Headmaster wanted to see my injury.

Clive seemed pretty happy as we walked the halls.

"I don't know what it's about but I know it'll be something good. Maybe time off exercising? Getting Carlo thrown out?" he joked, and I felt lighter.

I wondered if by some chance, Clive's patron had come. Then I realized Clive seemed so utterly alone, at summer, at winter holidays last year, and even at time like this no one could come and reprimand. Where did Clive really live? Where would be go after graduating?

"Don't look so worried, Nathan." Clive poked at my face for fun and I sighed.

We got to the Headmaster's study and I knocked before hearing the familiar voice say "Come in."

The Headmaster sat there, back to the sunlight, his figure dark against the backdrop. His mask was on but his eyes were strictly on us. They seemed expressionless as usual.

"Welcome, Clive Vagrant and Nathaniel Edgar Rottings. I'll honor the two of you with a secret and job. Our school does allow extremely exceptional teams to go and help out with activities in town, places knights cannot go to without attracting attention. They are called Knights In Training."

I had heard of that and accepted it although they are are not Knights, it was a path some had to take. Jonathan had friends who were official Knight In Trainings, were just called Knights. He would tell me how they got the grunt of the job.

Clive was confused.

"Jobs? Do we get paid?"

There was awkward and hesitant silence. The Headmaster sighed.

"Sure. Twenty coppers per person. Only if you succeed. Now don't go telling about your friends, even as of now there are only a mere ten pairs in this whole academy, so only twenty students are in this project. Telling your peers would terminate this contract."

With a smile the Headmaster took two pieces of paper and slid it our way, two fountain pens on each.

My eyes went over every word and by the time I finished reading in the dim room, Clive had signed it. He wrote "Twenty coppers per completion of mission" on it and had the Headmaster nod.

I finished and decided it would not take a toll on me and signed, to which the Headmaster spoke.

"Rottings, your finger is injured?"

"Yes, it was in an accident during our first time with a dagger, sir," I said.

"Carlo did it to him, sir," Clive piped up.

The Headmaster nodded. "Vagrant, you must take good care of Rottings, understood?"

"Yes, sir."

I blushed, realizing the Headmaster was probably considerate of my family status. I hated it when people treated Clive as my bodyguard or that he should sacrifice himself for me.