Chapter Two: Dummies

My head was dizzy, I was lost... Completely and utterly lost. I felt like my heart had been ripped out of my chest and cut open and then neatly sewn back in.

     "Hey are you alright?" One of the boys came up to me, the one that held me, and sat down.

     "No..." I replied dryly. "People are going to die now... I need to go back..." I was now completely guilt ridden, I shouldn't of screamed help... This was my fault. I smacked my leg, leaving it stinging. I kept whacking it until he reached out and stopped me... Just like I had stopped Darian from hitting himself. I started to feel Darian's pain that day he kidnapped me.

     I growled at him and he laughed. "Calm down...  You're a feisty one, aren't you!?!? That guy was a freak..." He said it like he knew him. He didn't know how I felt right now, and he was talking to me like some comedian... What a jerk.

     I glared at him, "Freak? As if you know! You didn't have to live with him for as long as I did! You don't understand!"  I punched him in the arm with all of my strength. It left my hand stinging.

     "Ouch?" He smiled and laughed at me. I glared at him.

     I hissed at him and replied, "Shut up."

     He smiled. This isn't a time to be smiling... "I'm Gage by the way." He lifted his hand so I shook it and returned the glare. "And you're Regan..." Silence filled the air. "Are you alright? You look flushed.."

     I laughed, "Those are slap marks! Hah, flushed..."

     His eyes grew wide, "Oh my gosh are you alright?" He touched my cheek and slowly ran his thumb over it's skin. I flinched, "Does it hurt?" I nodded, my cheeks still burned mostly from the one given to me a couple minutes ago.

     "I'm fine..." Gage looked at me weirdly,

    "Do you have a place to stay? Because I feel like it would be my job to keep you safe..." Is he really trying to hit on me when I'm just now getting away from a deranged serial killer. My thoughts on this 'Gage' guy were really pissing me off.

     I raised my eyebrows, "I have an apartment..." I stood up and started to weave my way towards my room. Marci! I had totally forgot about Marci... Was she alright?? I started to run and I stopped when she was being taken away on a stretcher.

     "Marci!" I cried, stopping the stretcher to kiss my best friend on the cheek. "Is she alive?" I put my hand on her chest and felt a heavy relief when it slowly arise up and down.

    "Regan?" Her. eyes sparked to life. She smiled a little bit.

     "Yes its me hunny..." I looked behind me to see Gage and his friend enclose in a tight circle. I looked at her shoulder to see a blood stained bandage where the knife had been lodged into. 

     "Oh Marci I'm so sorry!" I let out an exasperated cry.

     She comfortably place her hand on my cheek and whispered, "Babe its not your fault." Not my fault? The guilt weighed me down... No one could feel it but me...

     "This should've been me... This is going to be others except they won't be alive." The deadly truth sunk in. The longer i didn't return the more people he'd kill.

     "Regan, why we're you with him?" She asked me. At first I thought it was a stupid question... Well, because I was kidnapped and forced to be there unless he'd kill me and my family members. That was exactly what I was thinking, but I held my tongue.

     I thought and answered, "It would of been selfish for me to let others die..." I paused, "He loved me... When I was with him, he wouldn't kill as much.. I felt like it was my job to sacrafice my life for others." I looked at her.