Chapter 9- Mirror-call with Mother

I have been lounging in my bed all day, hiding from the world. Today is Saturday, a day I would normally spend picking flowers in the enchanted forest, drawing in my nature journal, and going for afternoon tea in Bookend. Instead, I refuse to leave the safety of my dorm room and my favourite frilly summer pyjama set. Every time I think of leaving my room, I feel a pit in my stomach as if I am afraid for people to see me. It is also the day of Briars 'Dance the Curse Away' party and I do not want to go. Not after my fight with Myrtle and seeing how embarrassed Hopper is just being near me. Myrtle has been out all day, probably with her new hex squad friends getting ready for the party, and I have been all alone. 

I've had some company from my pet frog, lumpy, he doesn't talk, at least not with words, so he is easy to spend time with

I've had some company from my pet frog, lumpy, he doesn't talk, at least not with words, so he is easy to spend time with. I sit up to stretch in the evening light filtering through my curtains then tiptoe from my bed to his tank and watch him through the glass. I sigh and think we have both been stuck in boxes today. Today is also the day I have my weekly scheduled mirror-time call with my mother. The thought of seeing her fills me with dread now that I know she knows how much of a royal failure I have been throughout my first few weeks at Ever After High. Sometimes I feel like I do everything just to please her and all the adults around me. Seeing them disappointed in me would crush all my self-worth and all they've built me up to be.

Even so, I have decided to accept my social death within the royal community at ever after high. Becoming a background character within the halls of the school doesn't seem like such a bad thing anymore. No more bad publicity, no more royal embarrassment and no more hexes. I may no longer hope to be the most popular fairy tale but at least I can live out the rest of my high school life in peace.

What I absolutely cannot accept is this stone-cold silence between myself and my 'best friend forever after' Myrtle.

After our fight yesterday we haven't spoken once. The trust between us has disintegrated into ashes and a new distance has grown, leaving me brokenhearted. After our fight I spent the evening, I feel that I cannot look at Myrtle the same way again but after the hideous things I said, I can't see myself the same way either. I even feel ashamed of the way I spoke to 'evil' Raven Queen. Looking back on our conversation, she didn't seem threatening or wicked at all. Perhaps all the rumours about her are wrong, and I now know how awful gossip can feel. Since coming to Ever After High I've changed in ways I don't like. I've never felt as desperate and hopeless as I do now as I grapple with coming into my identity as the next frog princess. On the one hand, being a spoiled princess is an ideal destiny. I get to live in an enchanted castle surrounded by nature, with all the royal luxuries I could ever want. On the other hand, being spoiled could mean that I'll forever be self-centred, immature, rude to my friends and have temper tantrums. And I could never respect that kind of person. That reality sounds lonely. I've always been a bit of a loner, but I was never lonely as I enjoyed my own company. But if I sign the Storybook of Legends, I could lose all the personality traits and hobbies I like about myself. Could following my destiny mean I become an empty shell of my former self?