6

"WAS THAT YOUR ORIGINAL SONG?"

Jungkook can't help but laugh out loud and clap his hands at my reaction, a shout that surely got the attention of the entire venue, with lots of noodles in his mouth and charged directly in front of an obvious college student.

"Don't yell! Swallow first, please!" Jungkook exclaims and hands me a napkin so he can compose himself. I cough and drink some water under the gaze of his dark eyes.

"I just can't believe that, woa..." I smile wide once more once I'm done drinking, unintentionally "you're amazing, I- God i really need soju, how long is it gonna take?" My words are shut down by the return of his eyes into mine. It feels like a rollercoaster of emotions as he gazes at me, mesmerized. "Jungkook-ah?"

Out of nowhere, he flashes a smile, brushing his lips over his piercing and baring his teeth. I freeze at the sight. Jungkook, meanwhile, extends his arm and takes the napkin from my hands with impetus, to then begin to wipe my lips himself delicately. I stare at his mouth, then at his upturned nose, and finally at his eyes, and I distinguish something in them.

Around me, all of the outdoors sounds of people laughing and talking curse me. Dozens of eyes are looking without doing it while I have Jungkook stare at me with tenderness.

I feel trapped.

"Thank you." I say seriously, as I snatch the piece of paper from his hands and lean back in my chair, trying to get some space between us. He gives me a confused look, then leans back to try a bite of noodles again.

I get distracted by looking around me: a modest restaurant, with some people (obviously close students and workers) having dinner between conversations or submerged in simple silences. The warm lights make it look comforting, even though the walls are covered in old movie posters and some cheap decorations. The whole atmosphere smells of emouk and mandu, a tantalizing combination for the palate of any night-walker. 

I turn to my still somewhat untouched plate of noodles.

"What's wrong? You didn't like it?" Jungkook asks, and I shake my head.

"It's not that, I just thought it's amazing that I pass by here every day and I've never noticed this place...you seem to know the city better than I do." I flash a small smile and go back to eating, considering a quiet silence between the two of us, before he speaks again.

"Maybe it has to do with the fact that I've lived here forever," the comment makes me look up, he seems to read my mind and continues talking "well, not forever because I was actually born in Busan, but when mom got divorced she took me to live here."

"It must have been difficult." I say, stunned by the sudden moment of vulnerability; he lets out a chuckle.

"Not really: I was only four. I don't remember much about everything, not even about my father."

"Do you still see him?" I ask, Jungkook shakes his head.

"Mom has full custody, and I'd rather not ask why." He stares at nothing for a moment and then turns his attention back to his plate, where he moves the noodles around with his chopsticks in no specific order. "It doesn't matter anyway, I'll be leaving home soon and nothing will be wrong with me anymore."

The comment about nothing confuses me, and despairs me at the same time. That look of sadness in his eyes is new, I don't like it. Maybe there's more about him that I don't know, acknowledging that makes me feel stupid for not taking it into consideration sooner.

Although, if I'm being honest, it dazzles me at the same time.

I watch him leave his hands to the sides of his plate, and I'm not able to stop myself before reaching his right hand into mine tenderly, stroking it gently with my thumb. I watch as he catches his breath and raises his eyes to me. We don't say anything to each other, but the moment is tender. I continue stroking gently and relax, he breathes in unison, and I can see his lips part slightly.