Chapter 3: Hard Deck Pt 2

You watched the blonde disappear into the packed crowd of drunkies and semen, going back towards wherever snob he came from.

You spun back around in your chair, your knees grazing the cheap wood planks of the bar. You stared down at your drink, watching as the ice cubes spun in the little tornado your straw made.

"As I was saying, they don't make it Army style." You took a sip of your Liquid Marijuana drink, tasting the fruity-ness of it. You were ashamed that you only tasted a smidge of alcohol inside - but it proved your claim nonetheless.

"And apparently soldiers too." You watched Hondo take another sip of his Bloody Mary, seeing the corners of his eyes scrunch from the taste. "I can't see how you enjoy those."

"I'll give props to the Army for their power and history," He said, letting out a small breath after he took another sip. "But don't underestimate the Navy's power- Oh, and I just like the color."

You motioned your hand to the arrangement of different flavors and alcoholic bottles displayed on the beck of the bar. If you looked through the glasses, you could see the other side of the bar. "You could've just ordered red food coloring into a decent drink."

Hondo shrugged. "Anyways, I brought you here to talk about something other than your alcoholic tolerance."

"Okay." You leaned an elbow on the bar, resting your head on your hand. "But it is impressive." Hondo spit.

"Obviously we're both aware of your skills on the ground-" He said. "But I'm interested in your skills in the air."

You raised your right eyebrow, now eyeing the man who sat next to you. "You know this already. I'm skilled in both head and wingman seats, I can fix any plane you give me, I know how to fight- even without any missiles. Must I go on?"

"Are you skilled with planes?" Hondo turned in his own chair, now his legs facing you. "You can fix any plane we can give you? Now you're asking for it."

"When was your last assignment?"

"About a year and a half ago- I was stationed in Afghanistan for a possible missile smuggle." Your drink was now half full, although it lacked alcohol, it was still tasty with its fruity-ness.

Think of it as an adult version of Kool-Aid.

"Well, I'd like to offer you another one." You now sat straight up in your seat. Hondo gave a quick look around the room, making sure nobody was paying any sort of attention to you both.

"We have a carrier in the Pacific having trouble with a few of their F-18's. They asked me to get somebody who knows what they're doing-" He said, his voice low enough to classify as a mere whisper. "So I called you." His chocolate brown skin was lit by the setting sun, his eyes so dark of a brown that they looked black.

"Your asking me to accept an assignment with the Navy?" You scoffed inside of your head. "It's basically asking me to give a Marine a marker instead."

Hondo rolled his eyes while giving out the biggest sigh known to man. His large hand rubbed his temples while he grunted from your sarcasm.

"You've been requested by Admiral Cain to come." He spat.

"Oh."

Well, that was unexpected...

"So...you need me to follow you to whatever bee hive of seamen this carrier holds and work on their little toys?" Your head dropped down in a sarcastic manner. "It isn't hard. I know for a fact the Navy has mechanical engineering degrees in their service- so why me?"

Hondo returned the look. "Like I said- they said somebody who knows what they're doing- and I called you. You should take that as a compliment."

You sipped some more of your drink, tasting the fruity-ness slip away and the taste you've been dying to have finally float into your mouth.

"Well I do," You said, the addicting stinging sensation of the alcohol dropped down your throat. "Thank you."

"Besides, there was only one other option." Hondo said, ordering a second round of shots with a wave of his colored hand. "There's a Naval pilot who I know personally can fix up anything that needs fixing."

"Great!- then why don't you call them? They're in the Navy." You said enthusiastically, sipping the rest of your drink into your straw, pushing the empty glass away from you for pickup. "Seems like they're in the same boat as myself-"

"Because." Hondo handed you one of the shot glasses, which you took, and held his own in his hand. "Not only is he a bit of a troublemaker, he also isn't on the greatest terms with the Navy. The only thing keeping him in is his skillset- God knows it's nothing else."

Okay...maybe not the same boat.

"Don't worry, you'll get to meet him."

The girl returned this time with a credit card reader with the screen reading |$𝟏𝟎𝟑.𝟐𝟔|, along with two buttons labeled Credit or Debit.

Before you could bring out your wallet, Hondo beat you to it by inserting his own black credit card into the small hand-held device, the screen reading |𝐀𝐩𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝! 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐚𝐯𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐤 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐬𝐞!|.

The screen continued on, the girls handing Hondo a small stylus pen when the screen flashed a signature line.

___________✍

A receipt printed from the top, the girl ripping the paper and handing it to him with a small 'Thank You!' before turning away.

You looked at Hondo dumbfounded. He side eyed you, before blinking his eyes in a mocking manner. "Whut?"

"Really? You could've let me get that." You said, smacking your wallet on the bar. It's the only thing you disliked about your jacket-since it was a riding coat everything you have in your pockets had to be specially secured, aka oodles of zippers and buttons.

"Eh, I did tell you they were on me though." Hondo motioned you to stand. "Let's go."

Before he even finished his sentence he shot back the glass, trying to act as if the alcohol didn't affect him, and attempted to put on his jacket. You did the same, accidentally letting the vodka sit on your tongue for longer than you'd liked.

Once you both finally made it past the crowd of drunkies - trying to search for that random blonde man from before...with no luck - you stood outside, standing beside your motorcycle.

"Welp, thanks for the drinks, Hondo." You said, securing your pocketries. "And the lovely information too."

"Course, thanks for coming out." Hondo said, checking the time on his phone. The sun was just about set, but it'd still make for an amazing drive back. "Anything else I can help you with before you go?"

"Tell me more like- informational stuff. When, Where, How. Things of that sort." You replied, fastening the velcro on your gloves.

"I'll let the Admiral do that for me- cause truly I don't know." He said.

"Fine then, can you at least give me the name of that goober you were talking about inside?" You asked. "Ya know- the second choice?"

"Who- Oh. Actually he was the first- but he's the one you'll probably end up working with. I do wish luck to you." Hondo grinned. "But, he is a fun one if you're the type."

"Tell me his name already."

"Maverick."

.....

Makayla I want a hug.

And a snack.
Por favor.