Chapter 9

"I think I'll ask him out. During the sleepover"

   Matt's POV:

    Shit. Fuck. God dammit. Why is Gus making this so hard?! I felt a tears forming in my eyes. Amity is wrong. No, she lied. She lied, didn't she?

    As Gus ran away from me for the 27th time time today, I stood in the hallway crying as all the other students watched me.

   Why was he avoiding me? I wish I knew. It was something someone said, maybe Luz let something slip and he knows I like him. God he's probably thinking I'm a weirdo now.

   Stop. Stop doing that! He's best friends with Luz! And she has a girlfriend! He's not homophobic or anything.

       I ran away to the bathroom and just cried and cried and cried. I couldn't do anything else.  As the tears poured out of my eyes, I thought about how much Gus has been avoiding me. Maybe he finally realized how bad of a person I am.

     Wait. Today's Tuesday. The sleepover.  Oh no, I can't do that! No no no no no! If I see Gus again, I'll break down. But I already told Steve... he'll ask too many questions if I don't go. Whatever, I'll go..

*TIME SKIP TO AFTER SCHOOL :)*

      I took a deep breath in as I grabbed my bag and exited my house. I started my walk to The Owl House. I was supposed to meet Gus at his house to walk together, but I think he's made it clear he doesn't want anything to do with me anymore.

     The house wasn't that far from my own, so before I knew it I was standing in front of Luz's house. I sighed and walked up to the door and knocked. Shortly after, the door opened to reveal Luz.

    "Oh, hey Matt. We're so glad you showed up!!" She said with excitement. "Um.. we thought you wouldn't show up considering... y'know... Gus?"

   "Yeah, I was debating on not coming. But I won't let him ruin my fun...?" I replied, trying to make it seem like I don't care for him anymore. But I do. A lot.

  "Cmon in." Luz said as she moved out of the doorway. I followed her inside and she lead me to the living room.

   Before sitting down on the couch, I looked around. Luz, Amity, Willow, Hunter, and even Edric and Emira were here. But no Gus.

  I took my seat on the couch while everyone looked at me... with pity.

    "What's going on?" I said bitterly, "why are you guys looking at me like that!"

   "We just-" Amity started, "we know Gus has been avoiding you. And it must be hard... we're sorry."

   "Sorry?" I was shocked. "Sorry for what? Sorry for lying to me? Sorry for getting my hopes up? Sorry for telling me that Gus likes me when we all know it's a lie?!"

   "She what?"

   I turned around to see Gus standing in the doorway. He must've just arrived. I gave him a sour look, it was the only thing I could do to prevent crying.

     "Woah- um- Matt- I don't like you." Gus said to me, clearly nervous. His face was red out of embarrassment.

    "Yeah I know." I said while standing up. "You've made that pretty clear."

   I walked away, and turned the corner of the hallway in the house. I went to the bathroom, I couldn't stand his stupid face anymore.

Gus' POV:

   I stood there as Matt walked away. I just ruined everything, didn't I? I looked at the others in the room, and they all stared at me with either a face of anger, or surprise.