twenty one : yeonjun

The food court is packed. The sound of screaming toddlers and gossiping high school freshmen could probably break the sound barrier. I grab every sample available as we make our way around, peering at the different options, my eyes widening when I see exactly what I’m looking for.

Bulgogi Boyz. Squeezed in between a Subway and a burger place.

There’s a group of twentysomething guys absolutely crushing it on the grill and prep line, meat and veggies flying everywhere through a cloud of steam and smoke. It reminds me of the food truck, only way less greasy, way more organized, and with elbow room to spare.

“Oh, heck yes. It’s here,” I say, my mouth full of chicken teriyaki and mini-cheesesteak bites. I grab Beomgyu’s arm, leading him through the crowd to the Korean place, his mom trailing just behind us. “Soobin introduced me to Bulgogi Boyz this summer. There was one down the block from Sweet Mirage, where I worked. He got takeout from there all the time, and I’ve been craving it like crazy since I left.”

Beomgyu hesitates as we get into line, biting his lip as he shoots a glance back at his mom. His unfinished words from the dressing room come back to me as I pop one of the sample toothpicks in my mouth and follow his gaze to see Mrs. Choi’s arms are crossed, her face scrunched up as she watches someone carry off a red tray of rice and delicious, steaming beef.

I don’t really understand what’s happening, but I can tell something’s off.

“We can totally get something else,” I say, reaching out to tap Beomgyu’s arm. “That mini-cheesesteak bite was delicious.”

Beomgyu’s eyes flick back to my face, and he shakes his head. “No, no. It’s cool.” He shrugs, and he looks… almost defiant, his arms crossing over his chest. “I want to try it.”

When we get to the front, the older man working the counter gives us a big smile, taking our orders before calling them back to the younger guys on the grill.

A couple of people waiting for their food turn to look in our direction.

Beomgyu's mother hoists up her bags, nodding to the burger place next door. “I’m craving a burger. Can you guys grab a table?”

Beomgyu nods, we put our and I put the three dollars of change into the tip jar and grab Beomgyu’s hand, pulling him away to wait for our number to be called.

“You good?” I ask him.

He nods and we pick up our food and find a table, her mom comes over with a red tray, piled high with fries and a burger.

“I am starving,” Beomgyu’s mom says as she pushes an overflowing container of fries to the edge of her tray. “Help yourselves!” She sips on her fountain drink before digging in, acting like absolutely nothing happened.

Beomgyu doesn’t even look up from his food.

I grab a fry and pop it in my mouth, trying to stave off any awkwardness. “You know, the food truck I work on has some great fries,” I say. “Fresh-cut.”

“I love fresh-cut fries,” Beomgyu’s mom says. “Oh my gosh. I’ll have to come down sometime and get some food! Right, Gyu? That would be so fun!”

Beomgyu nods. Her mom fake-whispers, “Look who’s being shy all of a sudden.”

I give her a thin-lipped smile before changing the subject to ask her about being a pharmacist. Thankfully, she goes off on a tangent for the rest of the meal, telling me all the ins and outs of the small local pharmacy she works at.

Finally, as the sun begins to set, she drives us back to campus, giving us a cheery goodbye and waiting until we get inside before heading on down the road.