Are You Okay? Pt. 1 - Jemily

*** Trigger Warning: Mentions of suicidal thoughts and self-inflected wounds. Also a depressed undertone.***

3rd Person's POV

Evelyn Prentiss is Jennifer Jareau and Emily Prentiss's 21-year-old daughter; JJ and Emily got married when Evelyn was 6. And if you ask anyone on the team, she looks like a mini-Emily. Evelyn was finally back in town after finishing off her third year at college. She was happy to be back home and to be with her mothers and their teammates. Evelyn knew that her mother or momma, Emily, being section chief, meant that there was a possibility she would be home more, but it would still be very little hours if that. But when it came to mom, JJ, there was a possibility she'd have to go fly out for a case by herself. Evelyn knew that there had been struggles within the FBI since Covid-19 started and that the BAU had been on the receiving end of many pay cuts. One was that the team very rarely flew out together on the plane to cases. Most cases now were done in the office, which she now very rarely went to. And on top of that she knew that Dave, or as she called him Grandpa or Gramps depending on the day, was now leading the team. But what none of the profilers knew was that Evelyn had been struggling recently with her mental health.

Evelyn was lying on her bed with music playing from her record player with her bedroom door closed, so she didn't hear either of her mother's had come home. "I don't get why we keep having some of these meetings. You guys in the BAU are doing everything that they've asked, but they keep wanting to make sure I'm not over budget with you all." Emily said as the two walked in. "At least we all are back in the office. It couldn't have been easy with Dave and Luke being hours away looking at another crime scene." JJ said. "I mean, it would be easier if Penelope was still here because we wouldn't have to have four people being her, we could save some money. Just finding one who was relatively as good as Penelope would help us save more money." Emily said as she and JJ took off their coats. "Hey, we both know that they are good but in their own ways." JJ said running a hand up Emily's back. Finally, the two ladies heard soft music coming from the upstairs area. "It's nice having Evelyn back. It was weird coming home to no noise before." JJ said. "I'm sorry that I've been stuck at the office more when your here." Emily said. "It's not your fault. I understand that you've gotten busier. Why don't you go upstairs and say hello to our daughter." JJ said. "Are you going to come up too?" Emily asked. "After I go into the kitchen and figure out what I am going to make for dinner." JJ said. "Okay." Emily said pecking JJ on her lips. JJ watched with a smile on her face as Emily went up to their daughter's room.

When up to her daughter's room, Emily could hear the music that was playing clearer now. One thing Emily knew came from her, was Evelyn's love for the alternative world. Evelyn may not have gone through a gothic phase, but the emo phase that Evelyn was currently in, Emily knew it was more than likely not going to be a phase. Emily knocked on the door and heard a quiet 'come in' come from the room. "Do you mind if I turn down the music?" Emily asked since she knew that she would get a headache if the music stayed up this loud. "No." Evelyn said. Emily nodded and walked over to the record player. "Motionless In White? I haven't heard of them." Emily said as she turned down the volume. "Yeah, they're a random band I got into when I was in high school." Evelyn said, still lying down on the bed. "So, how have you been?" Emily asked her daughter as she sat at the foot of her bed. "Good." Evelyn said. "How was college?" Emily asked, lying down next to her daughter. "Okay." Evelyn said. Emily raised an eyebrow at this response. Usually, her daughter loved talking to her and would tell her more than that. "Is everything okay?" Emily asked. "Yes." Evelyn said. Emily now seemed a bit more concerned and turned towards her daughter. "Are you sure?" Emily asked, noticing it seemed that Evelyn was spaced out while staring at the ceiling. Evelyn nodded, not wanting to say anything. Evelyn knew that at this point if she said anymore, she'd start crying. Emily could see the wheels turning in her daughter's head. "Did you not have a good time?" Emily asked. "I had a good time. I just... I don't know." Evelyn said. "You can talk to me, if you'd like." Emily said. Emily knew that Evelyn had struggles with her mental health, especially since Emily had seen a 16-year-old Evelyn bleeding in her shower from self-inflicted wounds. "I know." Evelyn said. Emily lay down next to her daughter on the bed. "Can we talk about your job?" Evelyn asked. "What would you like to know? How stressful it is? Or how much I can't stand some of the higher ups?" Emily asked. "Is it that bad now?" Evelyn asked. "Oh yeah. The whole thing with Covid-19 made it worse too. I hate that it's caused everyone to be more worried about budgeting." Emily said. "That sounds like it sucks." Evelyn said. "It does. The amount of budget meetings that I have been to since the start of Covid nearly tripled." Emily said. "So, how is Gramps doing with running the team?" Evelyn asked. "He's doing pretty good. Some days though it feels like he doesn't like it." Emily said as the vinyl finally stopped playing music. "I'm gonna get that and put it away." Evelyn said sitting up. Emily also sat up and watched her daughter put her vinyl away and turn off the record player. Emily now noticed Evelyn's bathroom, there were pill bottles on the counter which was unlike her. Evelyn usually kept her medicine up because she didn't want her mothers to think that she may use them as a way to overdose. "Hey, can I ask why your pills are out?" Emily asked, watching her daughter's reaction more closely. Evelyn tensed up and didn't know what to say to her mother. "Did you think about overdosing on your medicine?" Emily asked. Evelyn felt some tears start to well in her eyes. She didn't know what to say. She didn't want to tell her mother the truth. She didn't want her to be upset with her. Emily knew something was up, so she got up and walked towards her daughter. Evelyn heard Emily's footsteps coming over to her. "Hey, I'm not one to judge. You know that. I am always here for you." Emily said, placing a hand on Evelyn's shoulder. Evelyn turned to her mother, who quickly pulled her into a hug. Emily held her daughter close to her. Emily knew Evelyn had really bad depression, and that sometimes it spiked really bad. "Hey, I'm here. I'm proud of you for not taking anything." Emily whispered while Evelyn cried a little bit. Evelyn felt like she disappointed both of her mothers since she even thought about committing suicide. Evelyn held onto her mother tightly causing Emily to worry more about her daughter. "Did any of this have to do with college?" Emily asked. Emily felt her daughter shake her head.