-01. masquerade

{☀️🍵}

AMARA DROVE IN HER black honda civic to her best friend meg's house. meg was throwing a masquerade halloween party, and if amara said she was surprised she would be lying.

amara had known meg since they were in 1st grade, and every year she had a massive birthday party with up to 20 kids. so it was no shock as meg got older and famous, that she would start throwing parties.

originally amara wasn't going to go, since yesterday she came back to LA, where she used to live with meg in a condo, after a year and a half.

she was supposed to move in with meg to the house, but never got the chance because while meg was finalizing everything amara wasn't in LA anymore.

amara was with her ballet company, touring their performance of giselle around the world. their final location had been australia and now amara was back where all her friends were.

amara parked her car nearby, since there was no other parking in front of meg's house. then she got out and started to put on her mask as she walked to the house.

she had chose to go as the queen of hearts, since it was a simple costume she could pick up in the morning. it was paired with red converse, and a black masquerade mask with red gems.

amara opened the unlocked door, and shockingly it wasn't that many people. it was full for sure, but not as full as she expected.

she squeezed her way through people, trying to get to the kitchen. some people who recognized her waved, and amara not knowing half of them still waved back.

eventually she reached the entrance of the kitchen, and went to it quickly.

meg was playing beer pong with a bunch of other people, and amara tapped her shoulder as she passed.

"oh hi, do you need help with something?" meg said turning to amara.

"meg it's me." amara said. meg looked at amara closely, and then her eyes widened. "mara!" she shouted out and then launched onto amara.

"you're back, i'm so glad you came!" meg said hugging her best friend. "i only came for you." amara said.

"we are so catching up later." meg said as she launched a ball into a cup on the other teams side. "drink you punk!" she yelled out.

"anyway, do you have my type of drink?" amara asked. "yup, in my room in the mini fridge."

"also i love your costume girl." meg said flicking the crown on amara's braids.

"thanks meg, i'll see you later. love you!" amara said as she started to walk away.

"love you too mara!" meg yelled out.

amara started to slowly make her way upstairs, where meg's room was.

she opened the mini fridge, seeing a box of tropicana apple juice bottles.

there was a sticky note on it saying, "RESERVED FOR A.T"

amara wasn't a fan of alcohol, so meg always knew to keep apple juice or kool-aid for her best friend.

"ugh, meg i love you so much." amara said opening the box and taking two of them out.

she placed one back in the fridge so it can get even colder as she opened the one in her hand.

amara roamed around the upstairs as she drank her apple juice, and then saw the room that was supposed to be amara's, but still had some of her stuff in it.

meg had taken some of amara's stuff and put it in there so people knew not to go in it, and believed it was someone's.

amara started to hear barking, barking she knew belonged to her dog, ginger.

ginger was living with meg since amara was gone for so long, but amara thought she would be asleep by now.

amara walked into the room, seeing someone feeding her dog food.

"hey, hey what the heck are you doing!" amara said as she walked to the person.

"the dog was barking, so i fed it some strawberries. it was obviously hungry." the man said.

"well, 'it' is my dog. and 'it' is a girl, and her name is ginger."

"sorry i didn't know, you live here?" he asked. "yes but no? it's complicated." amara said sitting down.

ginger suddenly ran out the guy's arms, and straight to amara, starting to lick her face. "hi girl! hi!" amare said trying to avoid her kisses.

eventually ginger stopped, and just layed in amara's lap and she pet her, amara wiped off her dog's spit as she shook her head.

"i like your costume, queen of hearts." the man said. "thank you, i like yours?" amara said trying to figure out what he was.

"pirate, i know it doesn't look like it. i don't know." he shrugged.

amara laughed, "you're funny." she said. "i get told that a lot." he said.

"okay big question, why are you drinking apple juice at a party?"

"because i don't like alcohol, is that a problem mister?"

the man put his hands up in surrender, "not at all ma'am."

"now my big question, how'd you know she liked strawberries?" amara asked.

"guessed. my dog likes strawberries, so i figured." the man said.

the two continued to talk, and ginger fell asleep.

later, they both had to leave. entirely forgetting to exchange names or numbers.