Prologue: Before

Before, everything was exceptional. Before, life was a blessing. Before, I felt loved.

Grandparents are like lucky charms, they make our world a brighter place. From the day I was born, I was showered with love and affection for my mother's parents. Gifts for my birthday, lots of hugs and kisses, and smiles at every corner. My grandparents were going on their twenty-fifth year of marriage, and I couldn't have been at a happier time in my life. At this time, I was about eight years old. Too young to care, and too naive to notice. With my grades excelling each and every day, my grandparents couldn't be happier for me.

"Mom, it's snowing!" I shouted as my booted feet flew me out the glass front door. I stepped in the powdery snow, sinking down to my knees. "It's so beautiful."

"Paige, please come put on a jacket. You're going to freeze!" My mother yelled as I darted back inside the house. My now snow-fillied shoes created puddles as I stomped on the wood floor.

Ring, ring, ring! The home phone buzzed as I raced to get it. "Mom it's Nana and Papa! I'll bet they wanted to be the first people to wish us a Happy Hanukkah!" Tonight is the first night of Hanukkah, and there is nothing better than a beautiful white Hanukkah night.

"Hey Nana, it's Paige." I spoke into the phone as my mother darted around the corner to pick up bits and pieces of our conversation.

"Hey Paigey! I just wanted to call and wish you all a Happy Hanukkah!" She replied back into the phone.

I glared up at my mother and whispered, "called it."

My mother gazed at me and smerked.

"Nana, where's Papa? I wanted to tell him about how I creamed Dad in poker the other day!" I said into the phone with a giggle.

"Well--- Papa's--- He's--- out for a run. Yes, out for a run." She uncertainly replied.

"Papa runs?" I asked curiously.

"Sure." She replied, unable to explain.

"Ok! Well just tell him to give me a call when he can!" I replied back cheerfully. I really did hope that my grandfather was finally trying to exercise. "Well, Happy Hanukkah! I have to go play in the snow now! Bye!" I quickly hung up the phone and raced out of the house with my snow jacket on.

Too young to care, and too naive to notice...