Chapter 1

Months later on a warm sunny evening, the stars sparkled in the sky as I stared out my bedroom window. One week from my birthday! Just one week! My dry throat ached, as I coughed and tried to clear it. Hearing the thump of the ice machine down stairs, I jumped out of bed and tiptoed downstairs to get a class of water. From the sounds of the creaking floor board, I knew that I was alone downstairs. I peeked around the corner to find my mother embedded in a conversation on the phone.

"Mom, I know, I know." She rolled her eyes as she argued into the phone. "It's just that I love you both equally, and I just can't throw him in the dust."

Please tell me Papa didn't die, please, please, please.

"I still can't believe you had the audacity to lie to Paige. You could have at least said the truth, she's never going to want to live with one who hides the truth." My mother replied into the phone.

I starred at my mother in awe as drops of salt water fell down my face. She lied to me. Nana lied to me. I can't even think of how many other lies have been embedded into my head.

"Well, I'm telling the rest of my family tomorrow. If you can't tell the truth, I'll have to do it myself." My mother yelled into the phone as she slammed it onto the countertop.

I raced back upstairs and huddled myself under my slightly cool bedsheets from the absence of my warm body. My pillow began to be puddled with tears as I drifted into a nightmare filled sleep. Screw water...