Chapter 2

As dawn arose, I slowly got out of bed. I starred at the folded hands in my lap as I prepared myself for the news my mom was soon to tell our family.

I tiptoed downstairs to finally get that wonderful glass of water. As I walked past my parents room, I overheard bits and pieces of their conversation.

Muffled by the crying, my mom choked out, "W-why does she have to do this to h-him? W-w-why does she have to do t-this to us?"

"It's alright love," my dad replied sweetly. "Everything's going to be OK. I promise."

"I-It won't!" My mom replied harshly.

"It will." My dad replied as I peeked around the corner to watch him plant a kiss on her forehead. "It will. It will, it will, it will. I know it's hard for you, it will be hard for all of us. But please, we're a family. We are all going to get through this. I promise."

I couldn't take the anticipation anymore. I sprinted out from beyond the shadows. "What is it?" I yelled, directing the anger towards my parents. "Why were you yelling at Nana last night at the phone? Why are you crying your eyes outright now? Why, why-"

"Paige," my mom interrupted firmly, with no evidence that she had been crying. "Nana and Papa are getting a divorce. I divorce is-"

"I know what a divorce is," I replied furiously. "Why would she do this? After twenty-five years? Why now?"

"I don't know." My mom replied camly. "I know it's hard to take in, I'm not really taking it very well as you can see." She pointed to her bright red eyes, tear stained face, and split ends on her hair.

I turned my face down to the wooden floor and stormed out of the room. I stopped in my tracks right outside the door and asked, "That's why she lied to me that one time, wasn't it? She didn't want to tell me. She didn't think I could handle it." I laughed bitterly.

There was no reply. I had answered my own question.