dexter

I take one last look at the townhouse behind me, and slam my trunk closed.

I hurried into the back seat of my car and tried not to look at either one of my parents, focusing on the pitter patter of the rain gently falling over top of us.

"Honey," I heard my mom say. I kept my head down. "I know it's scary but I really think you'll like it there." she finished, trying to reassure me. I finally looked up at her, feeling the tears start to swell up in my eyes. I would not let them come out.

"But what if I don't mom, what if I end up with some shithead as a roommate who does nothing but annoy me all day?" I exclaimed throwing my hands up to exaggerate my point.

"Language." said my dad, short and concise.

I tried my absolute hardest not to glare at him through the headrest.

My gaze was still fixed onto my mother, I added, "I'm sorry, I just," I paused, thinking for a moment, "i'm really going to miss home."

My mom gave me an apologetic smile and said, "You'll always be able to visit sweetie, you aren't going to be gone forever."

I mimicked her smile and thought for a moment. Deep down I knew she was right, but I didn't say anything. I only turned to my window, now littered with raindrops and sighed, thinking about what the future had in store for me.

***

I was jolted awake as the car shook harshly. I looked up and furrowed my brows in the direction of my parents, wondering what just happened. As if on cue, my dad turned to me and said, "Sorry kid, just a speed bump, but we're almost there."

Almost there? I figured I had fallen asleep and began to mess with my hair, desperately trying to make it stop resembling a birds nest.

After meddling with my hair, face, and well, everything. I heard the navigation system announce,  "The destination is on your right." I would be lying if I said my heart hadn't sunk a little.

I didn't try to hide my sigh of dismay but still prepared myself to exit the car. After leaving the car and grabbing my things, my mom walked up to me with tears in her eyes and I couldn't help but feel horrible.

"Aww mom don't cry please," I pleaded, hugging her, I pulled away after a moment and added, " you'll make me cry and I don't wanna in front of everyone here." I smiled, gesturing around us.

"I know sweetie," she said, looking at me and smiling, her eyes still glossy,"my baby is all grown up."

"Moooomm" I whined, hugging her again. I looked at my dad and he nodded, I closed the gap between him and I with a hug as well.

A few moments later I was waving at my parent's car, watching it seemingly get smaller and smaller off in the distance, before it finally vanished from view.

I wiped my eyes and looked back at the campus in front of me, I couldn't lie, it looked beautiful, but taking a quick glance at everyone else, I began to feel uneasy about settling in here.

After a minute of angry muttering and constant tapping on my phone I had managed to find a map of the whole campus online, and began walking towards what should be my dorm building.

On the way to the dorm building, I noticed I was passing the cafeteria. It was fairly large, with brick supports and glass and metal in-between. I thought for a moment and checked the time, 8:15 pm. I turned back to look at the dorm building pondering my options, then decided I should get some food, I began walking towards the cafeteria, and pushed the door open.

The inside was almost empty, which made sense, considering the fact that most people would probably eat out, and that it was past lunch time already.

Never the less, there were still groups of people scattered around, and I spotted a small set of vending machines. I fumbled through my pockets and felt for my wallet as I approached the vending machine full of bags of chips.