Chapter 3

"Quick! Grab it!" Brooke cried, pushing Olivia aside to grab the axe before whatever lurked above dropped to collect it. As soon as she grasped at the handle, a towering, dark figure descended from the ceiling, its dark umber boots landing on the axe handle, nearly missing her fingers. 

A high-pitched shriek escaped her, instantly tearing her hands away from the pointed toe boots, to leap back and cower near Olivia's side.

Long, bony fingers crawled into the dim light, tendons twitching beneath the skin as they carefully curled around the axe's handle before ripping it back into the darkness; the metallic head scraping across the floor in a jarring screech.

The looming shadow soon straightened itself into the silhouette of a man--barely outlined among the blackened room, as it used its free hand to push up its long, tawny brimmed hat. A giggle broke from the darkness; malevolent yet childlike, as it crept closer.

It was him. 

The description from the book nearly exact.

Ruby red irises illuminated the features of his gaunt face; a stitched scar crossed his left eye, while another stretched across his sunken cheek--a few tugging at the corners of his mouth, drawing up into a vicious smile. The familiar, towering, slender figure, reaching to what appeared to be eight feet; the walnut colored jacket, with familiar tawny patches sewn at the elbows, hanging loosely over his figure.

He took yet another step closer, his nearly, skeletal knees pushing through the torn holes of a pair of charcoal jeans, tightened around his waist by a dark, worn belt. Locks of espresso colored hair, swayed in front of his eyes--the rest fanning out from underneath his hat-- as the axe lifted above his head at a menacing pace, another cackle escaping.

In a panic, Olivia pulled up the phone in her hand, snapping a few photos before the blade brought her to an early death.

An agonizing shriek escaped the creature, the axe falling from his grasp to cover his eyes, blinded from the light flashing from the camera. His vision blurred, mixing with bursts of light until he could no longer see.

"Oh, you like that?!" she screamed, now spamming the photo button with desperate clicks, shoving the phone closer.

"Olivia! Come on!" Brooke grabbed onto her sleeve, dragging her past the screeching man, making a quick escape out the doorway.

The man dropped to his hands and knees, hands desperately gliding across the stone floor in search of the axe, his fingertips finally discovering its handle. He shook his head, eyes beginning to flutter in attempts to regain sight, before he rose to his feet, leaping through one of the shattered windows to follow the trespassers.

Brooke raced through the thick grass, heading toward the tree line ahead, her grip remaining tight around Olivia's wrist to ensure they would never separate.

Around them, crows burst from the trees, battle cries escaping them at the sight of their master, forcing her to glance back due to the commotion; her eyes widened, watching as he sprinted across the clearing toward them, taking long strides with ease to grow closer. His skin now appearing a deathly grey among the sun's rays filtering through from above.

Olivia's scream caught her attention, as she too noticed the way he gained on them. "RUN FASTER! FASTER!"

Heavy breaths racked her body as she pushed herself onward, attempting to take quick strides to run quicker; her heart pounded at her ear drums, drowning out Olivia's crying pleads. Her eyes wildly scanned the dark environment around them, trying to locate any familiar landmarks, such as trees or rocks, to help guide her.

Another cackle behind her, sent a chill crawling up her spine, not daring to look back at the monster nipping at their heels. She made a quick veer south, making the sudden plan to lose him through the trees.