2. Our tomorrow

The memories of my childhood were almost as clear as the day to me. The rain which came after a hard day work on the field, the light that came closely behind, the river which flowed too close to home and the shallow looking pebbles that I used to pick up with Ginny. We would walk hand in hand to the market to buy some wood for the winter, and I would try to run towards the kids playing in the field and she would run after me and try to reason so I don't get hurt by the children.

I was mostly considered as the odd one, the subject of envy for many. My unruly white blond hair and striking blue eyes were not seen as normal for a fieldworkers offspring. So I was always the center of attention even though everyone knew of the truth. Except me who was in the dark.

As much as the mages were respected around here, they were also despised for their lavishness and sense of pride. They were hated for the power they possessed. Even at an early age everyone knew that I wasn't a normal human like them and tried their best not to mingle their children with me. Some even went as far as to say I was a bastard child, an unwanted one indeed. They saw me as an embodiment of the mages, one that lost her way and decided to wreak havoc on normal daily lives.

I tried many a times to prove them wrong, that I too was a child of my mother and there was nothing that was wrong with me. But even I couldn't fool myself. I was indeed an abomination, an unwanted one. I didn't mind it as long as my family was beside me. And they decided to live a lie with me for all these years.

*****

The village circle was decorated with colorful paper cranes and butterflies. There were stalls situated on both sides of the narrow pathway leading to the house of worship. These days only came once a year and were considered as a festival for us.

Everyone was in a hurry to show their respect for the mages and higher-ups, who rarely visited our village. I would never understand the respect they had for the higher-ups who were also indeed mages. Maybe because they decide if we eat or die.

I looked at the Isaiah family stall and walked towards their grandmother who was selling newly plucked flowers. The women peeked at me from under her glasses and smiled.

"Would you like a rose, darling?"
"You know what I prefer more Millina."

Millina cracked a toothless grin and grabbed the nearest scissors.

"You know you are not supposed to cut them right." I asked confused.
"Oh cut me some slack. I'm the oldest women alive on the planet right now."
"You doesn't look so grammy." Geyah came out of nowhere behind me and intertwined her hands with mine.

The Isaiah family consisted of Millina, her daughter Mariah and her grand daughter Geyah. They were the most accommodating and friendliest people out of the whole village.
Geyah and I clicked the moment we met and we were inseparable since. She was one of those people who had smiley eyes and a kind personality. When the whole village saw me as an outsider even before I found out about my real past yesterday, she would be by my side putting up with every crazy thoughts I had. And I loved her no matter what.

"Excited Leah?"
"Very."

She gave me a smile that gave me the strength to go on with the day and I deeply wanted to confide in her about the previous day and cry my heart out while she would console me with her unnecessarily stupid remarks. But I decided to wait until the test had passed and the both of us were in the clear zone.