prologue

❅───✧❅✦❅✧───❅
WARNING: THIS STORY IS INTENDED FOR MATURE AUDIENCES.

 THE MARRIAGE ARRANGEMENT

AUGUST 1998.

the sharp click of heels on wood jerked draco from his half asleep stance at his desk. he turned, his eyes narrowing as the door swung promptly open.

"you ever heard of knocking?" he asked, a small tinge of annoyance in his voice as he stared at his mother. she'd been pardoned after the war after months in court. draco had fought with everything in him to see his mother pardoned. she was the only person who mattered in his eyes.

he stared up at her, his annoyance fading as he saw how tired she looked. ever since his father was put in jail, she was changed. in fact, ever since the war started she'd changed. the death she'd witnessed...

the death they both witnessed.

a tremor shot up draco's spine as he recalled the horrific things voldemort would do to him if he wouldn't comply. the cruciatis curse, again and again and again. until draco's body had to heal for days on end, until walking was as painful as his mind. his mind had spiraled from the evil penetrating at it from all sides of him. the dark magic he'd had to perform-

he regretted all of it.

not that he could have done it any other way.

"what's wrong?" he finally spoke, as his mother slowly entered the room and perched on the edge of his bed. "mother?" his voice shook a little.

she frowned a little. "draco, the ministry is enacting a new law this year, and you will be required to return to hogwarts-,"

"no," draco interrupted. "no," he said again, softer in tone. "i can't go back there. not after- i just can't. you can't expect me to. the ministry can't make me,"

"but they can," narcissa said, her voice soft with pity. "and they are. they are enacting a marriage law in the hopes that the population will be replenished. with you being a pure blooded wizard- you have to go. you're of age."

draco stared at her, his vision blurring a little. "you mean- a marriage law? what? what does that entail?" anger crept into his vision, and he felt dizzy. he'd always sworn to never get married or have children, stop his bloodline with him. it was for the better. he wouldn't want his child to go through what he was put through, ever.

narcissa sighed. "you will be matched with a witch of your age, and you will be married this year. the ministry understands your situation... but you have to go."

draco shook his head. "i won't."

narcissa looked uneasy. "the ministry did say one more thing. you might change your mind."

draco arched an eyebrow. "i'm interested to what you could possibly say that would ever make me agree to this, nonetheless consider it."

"what if they let you pick your match?"

❅───✧❅✦❅✧───❅

AUTHOR'S NOTE

guys!! i finally started writing again and i wanted to start fresh with my personal take on the marriage law idea!! i hope you all love it and make sure to leave all your thoughts in the comments for me <3

a reminder that all characters in this story do belong to j.k rowling, but the events in this work were all created by me!

also!! the BEAUTIFUL cover art on this story belongs to @/dar.a_art on instagram!