Chapter Three - Varian

"No! Varian! Stay back!"

Quirin pushed him out of the way of the quickly expanding amber. Just as it looked like both father and son were safe, Quirin's hand was caught.

"Oh! Dad! D-Dad!" Varian scrambled up and lurched for his father. "Oh! Hold on!" He frantically looked back and forth. "Uh-" His eyes rested on his alchemy set. Would that work? "Um!" He grabbed his father's free arm and tugged on it. "I'll get you out!"

Quirin threw Varian across the room again. "No! Stay back!"

"Huh..." Varian started for his father again but then stopped. "Heh..." What was he doing? "I- I'm gonna go get help! I'm gonna help you! Don't worry Dad!"

"Don't worry! I'm gonna get help! Just- uh! Ah!"

"VARIAN!"

Varian awoke with a start. Where was he? It was soft. It was bright. Everything just seemed so happy. He had never been much of a religious person, but even so, this seemed like the wrong afterlife for him. Andrew had always said that traitors of their country went to hell. He had to be right. Andrew was always right. Varian was certainly a traitor to his country.

Maybe hell had more of a physiological punishment than a physical one?

"Oh thank goodness, you're alive," Eugene breathed out.

Aaaand... he was still in the castle. And still alive. Unfortunately.

"Not wrong about the hell part though," He croaked out. "I should have found a better blade." He attempted to flex his wrist but stopped short, a short burst of pain shot up his arm when he tried. It seemed he had done a number on his arm. Just, not enough.

"Varian, this isn't funny. Look at me."

Varian managed to sit up and looked into very concerned brown eyes. It was probably the most concerned he had seen someone look in years. Certainly, no one had looked at him like that since he was much younger. It felt odd. Why in the world did Eugene Fitzherbert, who did nothing as he had been sentenced to life in prison, look so concerned now?

He's concerned because I almost died. I would have been in his consciousness, I'm sure of it. He just wants to be able to sleep tonight.

He narrowed his eyes in distrust and anger. Whatever Eugene had to say, he didn't want to hear it.

"Why did you do it?" Eugene's voice was full of genuine worry. Or at least as far as Varian could tell. Still, he wasn't sure if he trusted it or not. Certainly, he couldn't if it came out of Eugene's mouth. No one associated with the royal family could be trusted. No one.

Varian sat silently. Eugene didn't deserve an answer. Nor did he really care. It was all part of an act. Probably.

He just wants to lure me in. Get me to talk about my feelings... and then... and then he'll tell it to Rapunzel... and she'll do something to me. I'm sure she will.

I... I can't talk. I mustn't say a single word to any of them.

So still, Varian sat in silence. It was something he could bear. It was all he had ever heard in the dungeons deep below the castle. He could have done it all day if only to spite Eugene if the man hadn't broken the silence.

"Can you walk?"

The question surprised Varian. He had expected an outburst of anger or annoyance at his silence. Maybe even a fake 'heartfelt' and 'touching' plea to let him in and share his feelings. Some stupid crap about how they weren't so different so he should just submit to Rapunzel and life would be well.