Chapter-09

"Would your family have already lodged a police complaint on your behalf?" Manik inquired, his voice resonating with genuine concern

Nandini paused for a moment, deep in thought. Her brow furrowed as she contemplated the question before responding, "There are chances of that. But I wonder... If Mom and Dad would do that for me." Her words drifted off as she seemed lost in her thoughts. With a visible sense of confusion painted across his face, Manik prodded gently, "What do you mean?"

Nandini snapped back to the present, her mind racing with a flurry of thoughts and emotions. She shook her head, attempting to dismiss the overwhelming flood of memories that threatened to consume her. "Umm... it's nothing," she murmured, unwilling to delve deeper into the tangled web of feelings that had resurfaced.

As hesitant as she may have appeared on the surface when uttering those two simple words - "it's nothing" - beneath lay depths, untold stories waiting patiently in silence for someone patient enough or compassionate enough would be willing to lend their ear.

Amid their conversation, a sudden interruption startled them as the doorbell chimed through the air. At that moment, an exchange of glances passed between them, silently acknowledging this unexpected intrusion.

Manik let out a tired sigh and rose from his seat with purpose. "You continue with this. I will see who's at the door," he assured before making his way toward the entrance to investigate who could be at their doorstep.

Nandini nodded, her eyes following him as he made his way out of the room. Moments later, anticipation filled the air as the door swung open, and Rajni stepped in with a wide grin spread across her face.

"Aunty, is everything okay? You..." Manik inquired with a mix of concern and relief evident on his face.

Rajni nonchalantly dismissed his worry with a lighthearted chuckle, "Everything is fine. I just bought food for both of you. You guys must be tired after setting things up here." She breezed past him and entered the house, going to the kitchen.

Manik quietly shut the door and shifted his attention to observe Rajni's intriguing interactions with Nandini. He noticed how Rajni paused Nandini amid her ongoing task, gently redirecting her towards the dining table.