Chapter 26. Snakes

"Do you feel no shame?" ~ PVRIS

January 8, 2025: Hong Kong Shatterdome, China

I was sitting on the floor, back against the wall outside of the Marshal's office. My knee's were pulled into my chest as I hid my head between them, trying to get rid of the pounding headache I was feeling.

Raleigh was pacing back and fourth, most likely out of annoyance as Chuck spent the last ten minutes screaming his lungs out at the Marshal about us. "She can't control her drift! And he went out of phase first!"

"We all know what happened!" Pentecost shouted back, not in the mood to deal with his bullshit after what had just happened and I didn't blame him.

"We can't afford mistakes! The Kaiju keep evolving- they keep kicking our asses!" Chuck continued to shout, his voice echoing through the door. "He's a has-been, she's a rookie! I don't want them protecting my bomb run, Sir!"

I squeezed my eyes shut as the feeling of hot tears welling in my eyes begun to surface. I knew I fucked up, I didn't need to hear it from Chuck, or Pentecost, or anyone for that matter.

"Last time I checked, you were the one that suggested I give Miss Rose a second chance." The Marshal retorted back, silence following his statement. 

Before I knew it, I heard the sound of the Marshal's door opening. I jumped to my feet, feeling light headed from standing up so fast. Out stormed a very angry Chuck as Raleigh stopped pacing, standing beside me.

"Stay there!" Herc called out from the Marshal's open door, still inside his office. "Give me a moment." That's when the door closed, and the three of us were left alone with each other.

Chuck stared at the closed door, his jaw clenched in anger as he let out a sharp exhale. He turned to face the two of us, pacing in front of us as his anger continued to fester.

"You two are a goddamn disgrace!" He shouted more so towards me than to Raleigh. I flinched slightly, feeling the tears starting to well in my eyes again. I'd never been good at being yelled at, it would always end in tears.

"You're gonna get us all killed and here's the thing, Raleigh." He turned his attention to the man in question, dragging out his name. Raleigh kept his composure, not making eye contact with Chuck as he continued to berate him.

"I want to come back from this mission, cause I quite like my life." Chuck's voice changed from anger to cocky as he smirked at Raleigh. Still, Raleigh didn't react, he kept his composure.

"So why don't you just do us all a favour," He paused, flicking Raleigh in the chest, "And disappear." I watched as Raleigh looked down at his finger, pure rage flashing across his face yet he still didn't react

"It's the only thing you're good at." That sentence is what pushed me over the line. 

I took a step towards Chuck, anger coursing through my veins. "That's enough, Chuck." My voice was stern as I spoke through gritted teeth, giving him a warning look as I tilted my head.

I felt a hand being placed on my shoulder, holding me back from getting any closer. Raleigh was looking at me with soft eyes, shaking his head as he tried to calm me down. I sighed, taking a step back while still glaring at Chuck.

"Yeah that's right." He spoke mockingly, looking over at Raleigh. "You just hold back your little girlfriend." His gaze flicked over to mine, speaking with as much malice as he could muster. "One of you bitches needs a leash."

Before I could even process what he had just said to me, Raleigh had punched him square in the nose, followed by another punch, than another. The last punch brought Chuck to his knee's as he spat out blood on the floor.