CHAPTER 21

They scoured every inch of their territory, their efforts yielding no sign of their children. Candice concentrated and connected with her children. A sob escaped her lips as the connection grew tenuous, stretching thin like a rubber band, threatening to snap at any second. "We have to find them."

Sonia entered the room. "I tracked down Gabriel."

"And how did you do so?" Mason glared at her.

Sonia lowered her gaze and pulled down the collar of her blouse to give them a full view of her mark. "We mated, and he marked me."

"Why would you hide this—That doesn't matter." Mason stood. "Let's go."

With urgency propelling their every step, they darted through the dense forest as twilight enveloped the land, casting an eerie gloom over their surroundings. Mason and Candice trailed behind Sonia, while the others searched for Mikaela.

Candice froze in her tracks, her heart dropping to the ground at the unmistakable stench of blood that permeated the air. "Where is he?"

"On top of the tree!"

Candice lifted her gaze and screamed at the top of her lungs at the heart-wrenching sight of her son suspended upside down from the highest branch. Mason climbed the tree and cut through the ropes that bound Gabriel. Angel caught Gabriel and Candice examined his injuries before touching his chest, seeking a heartbeat.

"It's faint." She sobbed. "Get him home, please."

Angel nodded, then headed back to the house, accompanied by Sonia.

Nick, check the trees. We found Gabriel.

Okay. Is... Is he okay?

Not sure.

When her legs shuddered, Mason grabbed her forearm, helping her regain her footing. At the howl echoing through the forest, Candice shook her head, the pressure in her chest tightening around her heart. "That was Nick--" She broke into a run, and Mason quickly followed, his strides matching hers as they raced through the forest, toward Nick's call.

As they neared the location, Candice could see a pack of wolves encircling Zayn and Nick, their teeth bared and snarls reverberating through the air. Mason charged forward, shifting into his wolf form, and lunged at one of the wolves. His powerful jaws clamped down on the wolf's neck and tore the flesh apart, sending a spray of blood everywhere. He tossed the wolf's lifeless body aside and growled.

Besides Nick, Zayn stumbled to his feet, his clothing tattered, and his body covered in scratches. Candice helped him regain his balance as he raised his hand, aimed directly at the encroaching wolves. From the earth below, roots erupted with force, impaling the wolves like deadly spikes.

Within seconds, Nick ascended the tree to retrieve an unconscious Mikaela. As Candice waited, her heart pounded in her chest. Andrew and Nina soon emerged from the shadows, dragging a woman with them. Her face was beaten, and her clothing was torn, but she was still alive.

"Where are the others?" Candice asked.

"Still in Snow Haven. Serena told us everything... I was the only one able to cross over."

The woman guffawed as if she had lost her mind.

Nina struck her across the face, silencing her. "Your friends are dead. Soon you will be as well."

"Really?" The woman glanced at Andrew. "You would kill me? Your mate?" Everyone glanced at Andrew, who stared at the woman with an unfathomable expression. The woman let out another mocking laugh, staggering to her feet, blood coating her nose and lips. She spat at Andrew's feet. "The goddess is twisted—chaining me to someone as pathetic as you—"