8. Shit

Brian had the controller for the first 15 minutes since I had one hand occupied with holding the ice. After I'd had my turn we'd been playing for nearly another hour and it had turned 3AM. Mid game I yawned and instinctually closed my eyes as I did so.

'Y/N!' Brian shouted while grabbing the controller off of me.

'What?' I said, still yawning while opening my eyes to see the TV.

'You were being shot at you idiot.' He said while killing the guy that was shooting at me.

'Oh sorry.' I mumbled.

'Are you tired?'

'Mmm...yeah a bit.' I mumbled.

'I could sleep.' Brian said while turning off the TV and putting his controller down on the bedside table.

'Do you have a blanket I could use?'

'Duh.' Brian said snarkily while holding up the corner of his blanket.

'Am I not sleeping on the couch?'

'No, I'll sleep on the couch.' He said while going over to the closet and taking out a spare, thinner blanket.

'I'm not making you sleep on the couch in your own home Brian.' I said while sitting up.

'My mom wakes up at like 4 or 5am usually and watches TV in the living room anyway. She'll feel too rude waking you up, you'd only be in the way.'

'Yeah but-'

'It's fine Y/n.'

'But she'll just wake you up. Can we not both just sleep here?' I said while glancing down at the bed.

'I mean....yeah I guess, if you're okay with that?'

'No Bri I have a massive problem with you sleeping in your own bed.' I scoffed.

'I really am fine on the couch Y/n.'

'Oh my god put the blanket away!'

He glared at me for a second as if to inspect any hesitation in my face before turning back to the closet and putting the blanket back in then getting his cigarettes out the pocket of his jeans that were on the floor and heading towards the door.

'I'm going for a cigarette first but you can go to sleep now, I'll be quiet when I come in.' He said while turning off the light and closing the door behind him.

'WAIT BRIAN!' I shouted as quickly as I could.

'What?' He said, peeking his head around the door and turning the light back on.

'I'm coming with you.' I said while scrambling out of the bed and following him. He grabbed his moms lighter from the coffee table and his keys before heading out.

'Can we not smoke in the apartment?' I said while we walked down the stairs of the apartment complex.

'No we aren't allowed.'

'Oh. Your room smells like cigarettes though.'

'Probably just my clothes.' He laughed.

We sat at the entrance outside of Brian's apartment complex, hugging our knees from the cold while we smoked, Brian talked to me about the people in school and who to look out for and it was actually making me excited to start. I mean I never enjoyed school, between getting average grades and spending my time at my last school either being relentlessly bullied or surrounded by jocks and cheerleaders who I pretended to like, there was nothing to look forward to. But knowing I can dress however I wanted and also already knowing two people who went there, it did make me excited.