Chapter 3

POV Layla

It was almost infuriating how good Echo was at line dancing. Layla only had to teach her each step about two times before she caught on and now, twenty minutes later, Echo was basically leading the dances herself. As annoying as it was, Layla couldn't help but laugh as they finished the "Fake ID" dance made famous by Dirty Dancing. She'd never seen Echo be so outgoing. She kept to herself and liked to stay in the background most of the time, but tonight it seemed like she was enjoying the spotlight. Other people in the bar seemed to notice, too. When the dance finally ended, Layla watched a tall, dark-skinned guy who looked about their age make his way over to Echo.

This was perfect. Echo was finally letting loose and maybe this mystery guy would be good for her- and with any luck, he would distract Echo from asking about Layla's own boy troubles.

"I don't think I've seen you here before," the guy said to Echo. "But obviously you must come a lot- you showed everybody up out on the dance floor.."

He flashed a smile and Echo blushed.

"Actually, I've never line danced in my life. Guess I'm just a natural," she replied cheekily. "So, you come here often, then?"

"Every Friday," he said. "I'm Zion."

"Echo. Nice to meet you."

Echo glanced at Layla and smiled, signaling that she was cool with this. Layla took that as her cue and made her way towards the bar. So much for a "girls only" night. But she couldn't be upset. Zion seemed like a cool guy and Echo deserved a little fun.

Layla got a glass of water from the bartender and then went to sit at one of the high tables near the front windows. She could keep an eye on Echo from there while also keeping herself entertained with the always-interesting LA streets outside until the next round of line-dancing started.

She'd only been sitting there for about 5 minutes when a group of guys walking into the bar caught her eye. They were dressed in all black, complete with sunglasses, cowboy hats and large jackets- definitely not the typical "going-out-on-a-Friday-night" attire. Layla was surprised the bouncer even let them inside-they looked extremely suspicious, and who knew what they could've been hiding underneath all those clothes. But something about them also seemed very familiar.

The guys sat down at the bar and began scanning the room. They were obviously trying to be nonchalant as they sipped their drinks (which were just water, Layla noticed), but they weren't doing the best job. It took all of 30 seconds for her to figure out what was going on.

Those idiots, she thought. Did they not hear me say "girls night?"

Layla wasn't about to let Tony, Cisco and Frostee get away with crashing the party- and she couldn't resist teasing them about their disguises. The next round of line-dancing had just been announced, so she made her way over to the bar as the dance floor host queued up the song- "Boot Scootin' Boogie" by Brooks and Dunn.

"Hey boys," Layla called sweetly, holding back a laugh as the guys turned to face her, their poorly-disguised faces struck with surprise. She gestured at their clothes. "Y'all must be from out of town- why don't you let a local show you the ropes on the dance floor?"

The guys glanced at each other nervously.

"Oh, that's okay, we're just here for the drinks," Frostee replied, holding up his glass.

Layla raised an eyebrow.

"You're drinking water."

"Yes, um...because we're health inspectors!" Cisco jumped in. "Just want to make sure the water is fresh and clean!"