001 | silent night

note ( again ): i changed some of the ages. harry is born 11 years later than the canonical birthdate ( 1980 ). therefore, james, lily, and mahira were born in 1971, rather than 1960, and charles was born in 1970.

"oh, when the fire burned out and the embers all died,we still had all our stories, like stars in the skies

we still had all our stories, like stars in the skies."
twinkling lights, annalise emerick

CHARLES POTTER was a family man.

He was a man who loved his daughter and would spend countless nights lulling her to sleep so his wife could get some rest. He was a man who would wake up early to cook breakfast so his Ira could give a bath to their daughter and play with her, teach her things about her background⸻ things he could never teach their little bundle of sunshine.

On the eve of 10th August 1990, Salena Lily Mihira Potter was brought into the world. She was a peculiar child because as most children would, she didn't cry at birth. Initially, they considered her a stillborn child, even thought Mahira was dead for a few seconds⸻but she'd only passed out. 3 minutes later, the girl started wailing, and Mahira was opening her eyes,⸻and it was then that Charles was sure: his girls wouldn't ever give up.

Salena was there when Mahira announced Charles her husband⸻ another small ceremony with only the closest of her family, ⸻the seat reserved for her grandparents was empty⸻ and the only friends who cared about them.

It was a lovely night, with Lily announcing that she was 3 months along, and her parents and brother not killing her husband.

James, Remus, Sirius⸻they all teased the couple and fawned over the child. With the war at its peak, it meant that it was supposed to settle down soon. Every adult in the world knew that peace would reign over chaos as quickly as bad had taken over good, it would be overnight.

But this was not the kind of overnight they'd expected.

Charles loved his brother to death⸻he'd be willing to go to any lengths to make sure James, Lily⸻whom he loved like a sister⸻and the little, ball-of-trouble Harry, were all safe.

The night of Halloween, 1992, was a calm night. James and Lily had tucked their son in early and were snuggled on the couch, ready to go to bed themselves. They lived in a neighbourhood so friendly and scarce of trouble, that they never knew the difference between a normal calm night and the calm that loomed over their heads like a cloud before a storm.

Charles had been called by Dumbledore, saying there was some trouble at James's and Lily's. He never specified what the trouble was, and Charles didn't ask. Later, he did ponder over why Dumbledore didn't tell him that his brother and sister-in-law were dead. Perhaps Dumbledore was embarrassed that the protection he assured him didn't keep trouble at bay, maybe Dumbledore was scared that the boy who was always cheerful, his reaction would be the most gut-wrenching because the ones who were always mellow and placid were the ones who broke down the hardest.