Chapter 20

Nigeria, Kaduna State.
Monarch Specialist Hospital
4th August, 2019
1:00PM

Surprisingly, Zulekha and Mama met Ya Ahmad at the reception. He looked so disheveled.

   "Oh you guys are here?" Mama asked as she walked down to Baba's ward.

Ya Ahmad huffed out some air "Baba has been discharged, Mama will go with him." He said walking down the other way.

Zulekha was dumbfounded for few seconds before she jogged to Ya Ahmad. "Where are you going to?"

He was already at the door, turning the door knob he gestured for her to come in. "Follow me."

Lying down, looking helpless and palpable. Zulekha fixed her gaze on him with an Unwavering stare.

   They were just talking and having the best time together few hours ago. What happened?

"I will get the drugs now." Ya Ahmad said staring at both brothers. He took a step and Ya Faruq held his hand. "Don't go please."

Ya Ahmad looked down at their hands. "Why?"

Quietly, Ya Umar said;  "Just stay." And Zulekha turned her attention to him. She didn't even noticed his presence. And for a moment Zulekha couldn't pinpoint who was really ill, Ya Umar that was sitting sluggishly with his head looking upwards, looking so rough and unenergetic or Ya Faruq that was lying down, looking a lil bit energetic.

There was an eerie silence in the hospital room before Ya Faruq let out a chuckle followed by a slight laughter. Ya Ahmad and Ya Umar also let out a laugh.

     "We came here on the same day an....." Ya Faruq started talking and Ya Umar was quick to cut him off.       "Is this one of your motivational speeches?"

Ya Faruq rolled his eyes, playfully, "Allow me to die before you bury me." He said, moving from lying down to sitting. "As i was saying....."

Ya Ahmad was quick to cut him off now.  "Before the devil interrupted."

     "And who is the devil?" Ya Umar asked unsure and Ya Ahmad shrugged off his shoulders. The room was so tense with a peculiar feeling but Zulekha just had to chuckle.

Her eyes traveled back to Ya Faruq, A smile was plastered on his face, staring at both brothers.
   "You guys will never change, will you?" He adjusted his sitting position. "We came here on the same day and we're leaving separately."

Swiftly, Ya Umar dragged the plastic chair to the hospital bed where Ya Faruq was sitting and Ya Ahmad was also sitting right beside him.

    "What are you saying?"

Scratching his left eyebrow, Ya Faruq smiled and laid down back. Briefly closing his eyes. "Every soul shall taste death." He muttered.

    "Is it about the Hassan/Hussain thingy, you're Hassan from today, you're older. Isn't that what you want?" Ya Umar said in one breath. He already had tears flowing down his face.

Zulekha could swear she had never seen Ya Umar breaking down so easily.

He cocked his head and held Ya Umar's hand, his eyes were so red. "Why is the hardest guy crying? He  smiled ruefully, "Umar you shouldn't cry, I'm leaving Zulekha for you. Take good care of her."

    Ya Ahmad pulled him to his chest, slightly knocking his head, "you either say good or keep shut." And they both smiled with tears cascading down their faces.

Ya Umar raised up his eyes and stared at Zulekha for a whole minute and with a look that looks like a dare, with utmost sincererity and with a tune that sounds like a promise. "I promise Faruq, i promise to take care of her."