[26.1] ALEXANDER THE PRIME

•|•|•

"We live in a world of reflection where balance thrives. To the left, it is right. To love there is hate, and to darkness, there is always light."

•|•|•

[SHADE SHADOWS]

"And how was your day, master?" I asked as I stacked the books on the table.

A smile was stained on my face involuntarily. My spirits had dampened after his crass comment but re-lit after the redemption of the one that followed.

Perhaps I was foolish to be happy simply because of a compliment. The thought paused me.

No- I shouldn't be too high upon horses to believe a master would actually offer such a thing to the likes of a Keffer. I admit it sent something warm deep down my insides to hear of my difference being spoken in a different light.

One that seemed positive.

I hoped, though hope was dangerous, that it was how he truly saw me. It was refreshing to hear it be spoken so highly, not as a peculiarity or a deformity, not as a curse but a thing of-
Perfection.

My smile returned, and I glanced at the master that had shown up, standing a few feet behind me.

He had an expression on his face I couldn't quite tell, but when our eyes locked, like before when I was caged in them as he helped me pick the books, I marveled at the shades of them.

I still did not know the exact color of them.

And every time our eyes met, the more often, it seemed the previous fear that I had, that any word I would say could be held against me had dissolved.

Instead, I had grown a curiosity, one that was fueled by each side the master showed me.

I knew he was a blunt man, who had no reason to care for the feelings of others, and yet he accepted to be my friend. Even now, when I couldn't control the anger that had crossed me when he reminded me of my title, I had recoiled, believing I would certainly be punished for speaking to him like that-

However, he remained silent. And then....

He listened.

He called me by name this time, and despite his brass nature, he fished for the right words to say-

Truly, it could have been uttered a lot better, but I understood the effort the moment he spoke it.

"I know the day has just begun, but you did not visit yesterday," I informed, glancing at him, as I fixed the book.

"Was it alright? It was a dark day filled with storms and lightning, I don't imagine there were many places to go."

When I looked back at him, his previous expression had-been displaced, his gaze shifting off me as he walked around the table, taking a seat.

"No, there was not much." He replied rather quietly.

I registered this, my eyebrows arching. I did not know why I was interested to know what caused that reaction in him.

"Are you alright?" I asked, my head tilting to the side.

His gaze snapped to me, "What sort of question is that? Am I hurt somewhere?" He grunted, touching his face for a moment, "Bleeding? It should be highly unlikely. My wolf takes great care of these things-"

I couldn't help but chuckle, causing his eyebrows to arch momentarily, watching me in what seemed like confusion and wonder.

I assumed he did not like being laughed at so I stopped, pursing my lips though I couldn't contain the amusement in my eyes.