{1}

Anastasia's mother had passed unexpectedly during the night.

Some claimed she committed suicide, others claimed she had been murdered by her dragon which Anastasia found quite ridiculous considering Vhagar was a gentle dragon who loved her rider.

But these were the only things Anastasia could hear about her mother's death because everyone had been keeping it a secret from her.

Why? She didn't know. Maybe they thought she was too soft. Too young. Wouldn't understand. It wouldn't be the first time she was treated like a child.

Either way, she thought she had every right to know what happened. And she did.

Which is why she did everything in her power to find the answers. Even if it made her stepfather daemon mad.

Her mother's death was so sudden it shocked everyone to their core.

One moment her mother was in labour the next Anastasia was being sat down by a Daemon, being told she was no longer with them.

Her sisters had burst into tears right then, gasping for breath and shaking.

But she, she stayed still and silent.

Almost like she didn't hear it.

But she did, she knew this. She had heard him say the words:

"I am so sorry, my dear girl." come from his mouth.

But it still didn't click in her head.

She knew her mother was dead but it was like she had just heard him say there would be no dinner tonight.

It didn't make sense. She was supposed to feel something.

To cry, to yearn, to mourn. But instead, she sat silently.

Daemon placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Anastasia, did you hear me? My sweet girl..." he stared at her with concern, all the heartbreak in his eyes but not a single tear.

She started back at him, her lifeless eyes glancing back and forth from each of his eyes.

"How?" was all she said.

Her sisters were now wondering the same thing, they wanted to know what killed their mother.

Daemon told her something, not the truth, not the real reason her mother had died, only that her mother was in a better peaceful place.

Daemon placed a hand on her head, almost petting her head like a puppy.

And right then, she didn't know why but she almost laughed at the thought of being pet like a puppy, her heart beating a million beats. She thought it would pop out of her chest right then. She hoped it would. It would be a thousand times better than what she was feeling

Deep inside her, she felt a roaring ocean of emotion, of pain. She didn't know how to react or how to feel but she knew she needed to leave.

It wasn't that she didn't feel anything, there wasn't anything wrong with her, she realized. It wasn't that she didn't love her mother. She didn't just didn't want to feel anything. She had put up a barrier and it was finally crumbling.

And in that instead, a tsunami crashed through her.

She couldn't stay there, not any longer than she already had.

She needed to leave. Not tomorrow, the next day or the day after that.

She had to leave now.