prologue

zander.

— — —

wind blew rapidly through the park, causing the air to become increasingly more chilly than before. clouds covered the sky, bringing its dullness to this horrid moment. tears of agony and melancholy flowed down my face.

"your leaving? how come you never told me?" i cried. my boyfriend, luke, gleamed at me, his golden eyes were dull and full of tears. "father just told me. we have only a few hours remaining until our flight and i had to tell you as soon as i could."

i pursed my lips. now? out of any time to tell him, why did it have to be so last minute? where could he be going anyway? "oh." i mumbled. "but, where are you going? could i visit you one day?"

"father doesn't want me to tell you. you know how disapproving he is of our relationship. i would've loved for you to visit me though."

my heart stopped. in other words, i was practically being told that i couldn't visit my soon-to-be long distance boyfriend. and this is all because of his father that's wicked enough to not accept something that makes his son happy. what a bitch.

"i understand. could i still text or call you?" he nodded. at least we still had some sort of contact. but it would never be the same.

i wouldn't be able to hold his hand. i wouldn't be able to kiss him. i wouldn't be able to hold him tight through his times of sadness and anger. and he couldn't for me either. taking all this in felt as if i was being stabbed in the chest.

i ran up to luke and hugged him, tightly. he immediately hugged back, for we both knew well this was one of our final hugs,
possibly for good.

"can i kiss you.." i asked, moving my head slightly upwards. he nodded. i began to slowly lean in towards his lips, shutting my eyes slowly but surely.

his soft lips touched mine. they still felt like heaven had came upon me, though i was desperate for anything positive to occur in this moment. he cupped my face into his hands, deepening the kiss. i moved my hands from his waist towards his auburn hair.

gently, i barely tugged at his sleek and tousled locks. we stopped, faces still close to one another, gasping for air for the slightest second. i kissed luke again, which he immediately kissed me back. i wanted to make the most of this. he's always mean't the world to me.

he was like a ray of sunshine on the darkest of days. like a shooting star in the night sky. he was my love. and now he's leaving, and i have to suffer losing someone that has mean't so much to me all these years.

we pulled away, locking eyes in wishing we could never look back. he smiled, which i found was very brave, considering what was occurring. luke's hands moved towards his scarf and he began to take it off. he held it out to me, gesturing for me to take it.

"i want you to keep this. i know it means a lot to me, but you've always mean't more. i hope you'll find it as a remembrance of me once i leave." he said, ever so kindly that my heart began to pound.

i grinned. "thank you, luke." i said, gently taking the scarf from his hands and taking it into my clutch. i hugged him again, with all of my love, all of my care.

"zander, i think i need to be going by now.." i heard luke whisper into my ear before pecking me on the neck. please.. not now. i began to cry again. "okay.. well.. goodbye luke. thank you." i said through constant sniffles. when luke saw how broken i was to see him go, he frowned sadly before tucking some of my hair behind my ear.

"i'm so sorry. just remember i love you more than you could ever imagine." "i love you too."

"goodbye, zander."

and with that he turned around, not looking back and walked away. i couldn't take this anymore. i broke down. pain. misery. anguish. all i could feel.

i peered downwards to my hand. there was luke's mahogany red scarf, still which i gently held. i brought my hand towards my chest, my grasp getting tighter. "i'll miss you, love." i muttered.. to nobody.

as years go by, we live, we love, but one thing that anyone dreads the thought of is,

we lose.

— — —

word count: 770 words