Chapter 1

4 years after the events of Book 9

Ferryport Landing Train station

You step off the train and onto the platform. It's a bright and sunny summer day. Gulls fly overhead circling over the Hudson River.

" Ferryport Landing...just how I remember it," You murmur, shouldering your backpack and extending the handle on your rolling suitcase. "It's nice to be back."

You're finishing up your Master's Degree in Folklore from the University of New York. For your final project, you decided to pick a small town, spend three months there, and investigate and document the local folklore.

So you decided to go to Ferryport Landing.

You walk down Main Street, heading for the inn, that swears that You'll sleep like royalty.

You pull your cell out of your pocket and check your email from the Inn.

"Check-in is not 'til five, and it's only ten. I got seven more hours!" You groan, switching the phone into sleep mode and sliding it back into your pocket. "Might as well get some breakfast."

***

You continue your walk until you get to The Blue Plate Special Diner.

The diner is busy with the morning breakfast rush.

You take a stool at the counter, pulling your suitcase up close, so it's out of the way.

"What'll it be hon?" Asks the waitress in a Southern accent.

You glance over the diner's laminated menu. "Oh hi, Ferrah. I'll have the, (what you usually have for breakfast.) Please." You say.

You vaguely remember your parents taking you to this diner when you were younger.

Ferrah jots down your order on a notepad. She takes the menu from you, setting it on a stack behind the counter. She then takes your order to the kitchen.

I should have probably called first. Invited them to breakfast. I mean how often is it you- your train of thought is cut off by the clanging of the diner's doorbell.

"If you'd have gotten up at a regular time, we could have beaten the rush." Says a female, she sounds rather irritated.

"It's not my fault your boyfriend kept blaring Polka music until the early hours of the morning!" Snaps the other female.

"I can't help it, he gets melancholic when -"

You turn around on your stool, wanting to see who's arguing.

You can tell they're teenage girls, one has long blond hair, and the other has long brown hair. You know the two teenagers without any introduction. They're your cousins, Sabrina and Daphne Grimm.

"Daphne, Sabrina, please stop that arguing. It's still early." You say.

"Cousin Y/N!" Gasps Daphne, as she runs to hug you.

"I'm glad to see you too Daphne," You say with a smile, hugging her back. "I'm happy to see you too, Sabrina."

"Y/N, what brings you to Ferryport Landing?" Sabrina asks, walking up to hug you.

"School stuff. I probably should have called first." You say, hugging her back.

"It's not like your call would have gone through. Puck's been too busy prank-calling New York City residents." Daphne says.

"Really?" You ask, your eyebrows raising. "I can say I've never gotten a call from him."

"Granny would probably kill him for bothering you."