Epilogue

6 YEARS LATER

"Wait! I wanna hear a story." Mia says from her bed. Her parents walk back into the room.

Lizzy lays next to her 4 year old daughter and her husband takes a seat at the edge of her bed.

"Let's see...." Mitch thinks of a story to tell. "One day, many years ago, I was at a party. I invited this really pretty girl and I was very nervous about it."

He's shared this story about 20 times, but Mia still loves it. "I watched her dance for a while, then we danced together. It was the fifth best day of my life."

"What are the other four?" Mia asks.

"When you were born." He tickles his daughter making her laugh. "When I married your mom, when she told me she was pregnant, and when I proposed to her."

"Another story! That one was too short." Mitch looks to his wife for approval, she nods and he thinks of another story to tell.

"What story should I tell?" He asks.

"How you proposed to mommy!" Mia suggests.

"I left her scavenger hunt clues that eventually led her to the rink. Then, there was this big piano in the middle of it, that's where I was sitting." He says.

"Then, I played a song from our favorite movie. That's how we named you." He says.

"Really? What movie is it?" Mia asks eagerly.

"La La Land." He says. "So, I sang that song for her. Then, I walked over to her off of the ice. I almost fell walking over to her, actually."

"She just thought it was a grand gesture, but then I got down on one knee and said, I know that song is called City of Stars, but you're the only star in my city." He says.

"When I grow up, I hope somebody loves me as much as daddy loves you, mommy." Mia whispers to her mom.

"You'll find it honey, even if it happens in an unexpected way." Lizzy places a kiss on her daughter's forehead.

"Get some rest, Mia." Mitch gives his daughter a forehead kiss as well.

Mitch and Lizzy leave their daughter's room and go back to their own.

"Goodnight, baby. I love you." Lizzy turns off their lamp.

"Goodnight, my love. I love you, more." Mitch gives her a kiss.

Mitch is woken up by crying coming from Mia's room. He gets out of bed quickly but quietly so he doesn't wake up his wife.

"Daddy, I had a bad dream." Mia has little tears rolling down her face.

"It's okay, honey. I'm right here." Her father gets into the bed next her. He's hanging off of it halfway because of his size.

"Can you sing that song for me?" She asks, she hiccups a little bit.

"Of course, princess." He says. His daughter snuggles up under his arm. He rubs her back with his hand.

"City of stars, are you shining just for me?" He sings softly.

As he continues, his daughter slowly drifts off to sleep.

"I'm glad everything worked out the way it did." He thinks to himself.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I LOVED WRITING THIS CHAPTER