six, pt. 1

"Why does Donghyuck keep asking me about Dejun? What is so interesting about him? If he wants to find out more about him, he should be the one to date him" the frustration in your voice made a couple of people turn their heads from the tables next to yours.

Jimin took a fork bite of her carrot cake. "Girl, you must be joking" she said, munching on the piece of cake. "He asks about him because, guess what, he is jealous! J-e-a-l-o-u-s. Got it? Why are you so stupid, gosh! The man has clearly fallen for you and you are so oblivious of it!".

"I mean why would he be jealous? Dejun and I broke up so long ago" you muttered to yourself.

Jimin heard that and, obviously, she wouldn't leave it at that. "This is what happens when you like someone. Donghyuck keeps asking you about your ex boyfriend because he wants to make sure he's in the clear to make a move."

You sighed. "Is this why you keep asking Yangyang if he broke up with his girlfriend? Look, Jimin, I love you, but I don't think Hyuck likes me. As a friend, yes. But nothing more than that."

Jimin gulped down a glass full of water. "Okay, whatever floats your boat, Y/n" she said and took another fork bite of her cake. "So, did Yangyang tell you? A frat guy he knows is hosting a party this weekend, wanna go?" she asked you.

"Come on Jiminie, you know I don't really do parties" you whined.

Jimin rolled her eyes. "I wasn't expecting a different answer. But we're definitely going. There's gonna be hot boys, good music and lots of alcohol. I heard Donghyuck is going too".

"Well, he didn't mention any party" you defended him. "He didn't mention any party yet" Jimin corrected you. "He's gonna bring it up any second. I bet you can't say no to him, you care too much about his feelings but you never care about mine" Jimin sulked.

You mentally slapped her only because you couldn't bear to slap her for real. "I will go to the party because you want us to go, not because Donghyuck will supposedly be there. You know I always come along with you in everything. We come as a package, remember? Now, don't sulk and eat your cake, we have to think about our outfits" you said. She was your best friend after all, it was the least you could do.

Jimin's face lit up and her lips curved upwards, stretching all the way to her ears. Before she could open her mouth to speak, you cut her off. "But you have to promise me that you won't get drunk, okay?" you said and lifted your pinky.

She linked her pinky finger with yours and nodded in agreement. "I don't exactly promise it, but I'll try my best" she said.

Donghyuck indeed mentioned the party later that day when you went out at the park with him. "I don't really wanna go either Y/n, but all my friends are gonna be there. And now that you're gonna be there too, I can't be the only one missing out from all the fun" he said.

Donghyuck has had his fun share with parties during high school. He told you so one night at the park. He would sneak out the house and go to parties during weekends, but one night, or rather morning, he went home super drunk and threw up all over the front door rug. He claimed that this happened because of a dare his friends made him do and that he didn't intend to drink as much as he did. After that, he avoided parties like the plague. It's not that his parents never allowed him to go again; he could easily sneak out his window. He was smart enough to realize that parties were simply not good for him.

"I wanted to fit in with them, you know?" Donghyuck had said "I got used to it eventually and I actually kinda liked it, but now I don't really enjoy such things".

That's one of the many reasons you liked Donghyuck so much. His honesty. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind about things that bothered him, or simply voice out his thoughts. So why wasn't he doing it with his feelings too? Was it so hard for him too? Did he actually like you, like Jimin said? Or maybe you just wanted to believe that he did. If he really did, he would probably have said it by now.