Chapter 58

MIA

Caspian made his way to the edge of his cell, clutching onto the metal bars and gulping. His face was contoured into a grimace, a part of me hating seeing him trapped and left to deteriorate, but, I reminded myself of what he had done to us.

He had left us for dead.

"If it's any consolation, I'm glad you're alive," he spoke, his voice light hearted and airy, and I heard Lorenzo scoff angrily from beside me.

I didn't respond, unsure of whether Caspian was trying to bait me or was actually being genuine.

"Ophelia is still on the run, Caspian," I told him, aware that he already knew. "Is there anything you can tell us that would help us locate her?"

"I've already tried, baby," Lorenzo muttered to me, and I turned to him frowning. I knew he had, but I wanted to shoot my shot. I was hopeful that I could get Caspian to open up.

Caspian's shoulders sagged, and he dropped his gaze, clamping his teeth down on his bottom lip. It looked painful, and I expected that he was tasting his own blood.

"I've been telling the truth the whole time. I really don't know where she is."

Caspian's response frustrated me, and I swallowed down my tears as memories flashed through my mind, my emotions trying to overwhelm me. I had to accept what Caspian had done and move on. He was no longer our friend, and it would do us some good to come to terms with it.

"Why did you do it?" I muttered, my jaw tense. I felt Lorenzo stiffen next to me, and Caspian looked at me once again, taking a deep breath.

"Ophelia promised to bring back my mate," he told me, his bottom lip jutting out slightly, imprints of his teeth marking it. "She tricked me into betraying you. I allowed her to manipulate me, and I'm sorry."

I didn't know what to say, surprise flowing through me, and I scowled at Lorenzo, raising my brows. "Can witches do that?"

My mate shook his head, shrugging. I hadn't considered that Ophelia had offered him such a thing, not believing that witches could bring people back from the dead. However, dark magic was being used. We had no experience with it.

I knew that Caspian had been struggling, and I was confused on how to react. The thought of losing Lorenzo made me feel sick, and I wondered if I would have done the same thing as Caspian to get him back.

Lorenzo was my other half and without him I was incomplete, but would I have been able to turn my back on my loved ones?

It was hard to put myself in the situation.

Turning to Lorenzo, I exhaled, leaning towards him to whisper into his ear. "What are you going to do with him once Ophelia has been captured?"

I had to use the word 'once'. I couldn't stand the thought of Ophelia being out on the run forever. We were going to find her and she was going to pay for her actions. I had to keep faith.

"I don't know yet," Lorenzo spoke, pursing his lips. "I wanted to get your opinion on that."

I didn't know what I wanted to do with Caspian. There was no way I would be able to allow someone to kill him. He may have betrayed us, but I wasn't going to sentence him to death. It felt wrong.