Chapter 1-1: The Accident

Della found out last night about the rocket named the Spear of Selene that her Uncle Scrooge has been building for her to celebrate her children's birth, but she has never been very patient. She decided to leave early in the morning and come back to Earth before anyone realizes that she was even gone. Her brother Donald has been very against even the idea of the Spear, so she figures that doing it in secret would be better.

Once she's sure that everyone is still asleep, she packs a bag and sings quietly to the four eggs she layed a month ago, "Look to the stars, my darling girl and boys. Life is strange and vast, filled with wonders and joys. Face each new sun with eyes clear and true, unafraid of the unknown because I'll face it all with you."

The doctors told her that she should be expecting three boys and a girl, and she wrote that lullaby for her children a few weeks ago. She sings the song to the eggs every night, hoping that they will hatch at the sound of her voice. She gives all of the eggs a hug and feels her bag slip down her shoulder, bumping the pillow the eggs are resting on.

She doesn't see that one of the eggs rolled into her bag, so she just slings it back over her shoulder and sneaks out of the house. Reaching the launching bay, she sets her bag inside the cockpit of the rocket ship, grabbing the space suit that she found inside. She gets changed, sneaking back onto the Spear.

She catches a glimpse of Scrooge across the launching bay, but he hasn't noticed her yet. She straps herself in, still unaware of the egg that is now inside the rocket. She takes off into space and is flying smoothly for a few minutes before getting caught in a cosmic storm.

She speaks into the small microphone built into her helmet, exclaiming, "Mayday! Mayday! Does anybody read me?!" After hearing no response, she punches the metal next to her, grumbling, "Stupid, no good -"

The screen activated, looking glitchy and the sound coming in patches.

She hears Scrooge say, "Della!"

She responds in a scared tone, "Uncle Scrooge!"

He tells her, "Turn back, it's too dangerous! The cosmic storm's coming at ya!"

She isn't able to respond as she maneuvers through the storm. He tries calling her name again, but the screen shuts off as the Spear of Selene is struck by lightning, cutting all power to the ship. The rocket is pulled into the gravitational pull of the moon, crashlanding and launching Della out of the ship, knocking her out.

When she wakes up, the oxygen tank on her space suit is failing, so she is slowly losing air. She is panting as she frantically looks around. One of her legs is caught under the wreckage of the ship, but she spots a box of Oxy-Chew within arms reach. As she reaches for the gum that Gyro made, the egg rolls toward her. Her eyes widen in shock as she realizes what's happened. One of her children has gotten trapped on the moon with her.

She exclaims, "Oh, no! Oh, no, no, no! No no no no!"

She tries to reach for the egg but is unable to reach her un-hatched child. She starts chewing a few pieces of Oxy-Chew, tossing her helmet off of her, and lands it on top of the egg to try to protect it.

The flavor makes her grimace in disgust, "Ugh, black licorice?"

She kicks at the wreckage trapping her leg, but some more wreckage almost lands on her. She ends up having to cut off her leg just above the knee, covering the wound with some bandage wrap she found among the wreckage. It takes a few hours, but she is able to make a prosthetic leg with spare parts from the wreckage.

She found an intact room in the wreckage of the ship, luckily filled with air. She knew her child wouldn't be able to chew Oxy-Chew for at least a few months, so she would need to keep the child in this room until then, and find something for her child to eat. She brought the egg into the room and looked around the area for something she could potentially feed her child.

The only food source she could find was some small bugs, but it would have to do until the child was able to chew Oxy-Chew. After a few days, the egg started moving and hatched a few minutes later. The baby that hatched was Della's only daughter. She already had names prepared for her children, so she named her daughter Clover.

~800 words