Time-out With the Princess (Fall 3)

III.

"Okay. Who knew you couldn't use magic in the Palace? Not me, that's for sure," Elise said, pouting. Madoka shot her a glare but stood there quietly, awaiting her princess's orders. Elise already received an earful from the maid for at least an hour after the magic incident. After Madoka's scolding, she heard the princess receive another earful from her Father. He promptly placed her back in Madoka's care and told her to remain in the Royal Library's study room for now until she goes to bed. Elise kicked her feet as she sat in an irritating rhythm.

"I get why you're here with me. But why is he here?"

Squash-face saluted. Madoka imagined him trying to read a book and could not stop her chuckle. According to Elise, the "time-out" had to take place in this room or else. Also according to Elise, Madoka still failed at basic reading comprehension. It was not like Madoka cared. The soldier cleared his throat.

"I am here by His Majesty's orders to supervise and escort you around," he said, dutifully. Elise snorted.

"I don't need you, potato-head," she said. She quieted down when Madoka gave her another glare. "I have her, you know?"

"Well, I—"

"I know! You two can do an arm wrestle!" Elise said. Madoka knew where this was going and she did not like it.

"Your Highness," Madoka stammered. "That's simply His Majesty's-"

"Well tell him to suck it!" Elise snapped. "I'm in time out already and I'm bored, Madoka! Bored! Now arm wrestle! Loser gets voted off the island!"

"What does that mean, Your Highness?" Squash-face asked. Madoka stifled a chuckle. She remembered when she had a difficult time finding the context in Elise's odd words.

"A table, dammit," Elise snapped. "A study needs one. Why does this one not have a damn table in it? Also I'll need you to get my book from my room, Madoka."

"Understood, Your Highness," Madoka began. "We don't need to arm wrestle for simple orders like that."

"But I'm bored!" Elise complained. "Arm wrestle on the chair! Yeah!"

Squash-face gave Madoka a worried look. Madoka shrugged. He looked no more older than her, despite his odd face.

"I am a soldier," Squash-face said. "I've trained for many hours with my captain."

"Only hours?" Elise scoffed. Squash-face furrowed his brow and looked offended as she challenged his manliness.

"Very well, then," he declared. Madoka rolled her eyes. The princess got off her time-out chair and scooted it for them. "Have at you, Madoka!"

Madoka held the soldier's grip and found it to be weak. It must be bad if a soldier is this weak, Madoka mused in her head. She did not realize that Elise already started the match and Squash-face was trying with all of his might to win. Madoka's arm did not budge. It looked like he was sweating. In one swift motion, she flung his arm down.

Squash-face lay on the floor with a look of shock on his face. How unladylike, Madoka thought as she wiped her hand off. And how uncomfortable.

"See?" Elise laughed. "Now get me my table, potato! It'll make you stronger! And Madoka, dear, get me my book!"

"As you command," Squash-face took the defeat well, much to Madoka's surprise. He got back up and left the room. Elise's expression changed in an instant. Madoka froze.

"Do you know how hard it was to get a one on one with you?" Elise said. The tone in her voice was suddenly serious and devoid of any of the immaturity it had in it from before. Madoka stood silently. "I've not much time left here so I need to explain some things."