Chapter Nine: Technicolour

If Ruby had to recommend one coping mechanism for dealing with this particular traumatic situation, it was to be 'off your tits' high. The very notion of a yellow fictional bear had transformed her world into a vast and vivid technicolour expanse, her body alien unto herself as it moved to another will.

She witnessed as the barrel of the gun pointed directly at her exploded in a burst of colourful ribbons, the long waving coils of silk fabric unravelling and twisting at a violent speed as they whizzed past her right ear, a sharp sting forming as Soni closed in, fast, ears ringing.

The impact of flesh on flesh sent them both horizontal, clawed fingers sinking into yellow fur, face formed into a wild snarl as Soni dug her knees into his sides holding him down before she took hold of his life force, and ripped.

No, don't! Ruby screamed, helpless as his energy surged into them, electricity rippling across her body as the body beneath them went limp and lifeless. The sensation euphoric as the room distorted for a moment before snapping into sharp focus, her thinking suddenly clearer. What the fuck!

Serves him right.

"What the fuck is going on here?!"

She spun, eyes wide as the fat fuck and the shifters burst into the room, confused expressions forming as they surveyed the destruction, the black beady eyes of the fat fuck shifting from gangster Winnie to her, his agitation clear. He then turned his gaze to the stoic Shrek, cogs turning quickly as a smirk formed.

"You, Knock her the fuck out," he growled in command.

Soni tried to react in time, but failed, as Shrek was on top of her in seconds now coloured a strange tinge of green. He wrenched her from atop the dead gangster like a ragdoll and tossed before she could discharge in defence.

Tumbling across the floor in a flurry of sparks and smouldering carpet, slamming into the nearby coffee table with a violent crash, nearby cans turning into wriggling worms as she rolled.

Now back in control, Ruby scrambled backward, the big guy advancing. Fuck, he was strong.

"Stop! Don't fucking kill her. Jesus fucking christ!" the fat fuck bellowed.

Shrek froze, but Ruby did not as she sprung to her feet, ignoring her aching body and bolted directly for the exit. She had to get out of there. Get to safety. Get to where she could sober up, think straight and figure out what the fuck she needed to do to get Mia back.

She barely made it to the other end of the living room as the male shifter swiftly darted after her, a frustrated scream erupting as he snared the back of her jacket and pulled. The world tilted. No time to brace for impact as she landed hard on her back. The wind punched from her lungs.

He was on top of her quickly, pinning her arms at her sides, his breath hot in her face as his muscles began to bulge and grow, his fingers digging into her forearms like a tightening vice.

"You're not going anywhere."

Ruby roared in pain, Soni taking advantage and slipping into control, a dark smile forming as her hands snapped around his wrists, heat surging up her arms before she ignited their hands in a super heated instant. Flesh and bone vaporised, the smell horrendous as he screamed and fell away from her.

Ruby choked down the bile forming in her throat as she forced her way back in and scrambled away, pushing the disembodied hands from her lap in disgust. What the fuck was that, Soni?! Fuck me!

They will grow back. He might be shorter, though.

"Lucian!!" the sister screamed, running to her dismembered brother.