Sparks of hope

To revive the team, he proposed a 4-3-3 structure.

I was given jersey number 30 being signed on a , and lined up in a midfield alongside Christian Pulisic and Ngalo Kante, Raheem Stering and Aubemayang were out on the wings, with Joao Felix and Axel Carters as centre forwards.

On paper, that was a solid line-up. Kante and I were excellent on defence.

My job was to be the membrane of the team. Off any turnover, I'd get the deep pass, and then assess whether to send it to the wings, or put Pulisic or the strikers into good positions.

This pivotal role suited me well.

Our first game was a daunting challenge against No. 1 ranked Arsenal, as we struggled early on.

A couple of nice passes and decent dribbles saw me make a pancake out of my Premier League debut, sliding and floating around the pitch, giving fast balls to release the likes of Sterling, and Aubemayang.

The score was nil-nil, uptil Arsenal launched an assault deep into our half.

I chased back, shepherding him away, waiting for him to dribble, sliding the ball out between his legs. With that, I kicked it loose, got a decent touch to control it, slipped it left and right, laterally confounding the first defender.

I dribbled slightly more, linking with Sterling on the wing.

He made a decent cross back, as I slipped it on the corner angle for Axel to sprint onto. He scored his first Premier League goal, from 10 metres out.

The game was full of excellent passes, as Pulisic, Felix and Carters read them perfectly, sprinting onto them and creating good chances.

Arsenal got back and scored several in return, despite us dominating possession.

Despite their comeback, Pulisic and I orchestrated some more.

Pulisic was the better dribbler, and my job was a visionary passer, something that I did extremely well.

The same tact, of dribbling to draw defenders and unleashing the cutter lines of the three attackers saw us score through Carters and Felix.

In the final minute, as Felix missed the first shot, I saw the ball come down on a bounce.

I popped a shot into the top corner, scoring the winning goal.

I was named man of the match in the first game, as Chelsea got back on track in the new season.

The post-match period was one of partying for most, but Carters and I practiced our shots, long passes, high passes, and dribbling.

Another two more hours before returning back to the hotel.

'Young star Dexter Knight lights up Chelsea midfield, lighting up their attack.'

Knight has proved what he can do at the top level. He made 7 out of his 11 attempted tackles, and created Carter's first goal off a couter-attacking link-up with Sterling and a feel sharp passes. Speaking of passing, he showed his class with an 88% passing accuracy, and 3 assists throughout a game with the goal especially.

Used as a hybrid regista/trequartista, he ran a total of 6.4 miles, with countless quick sprints. His athleticism was on full display, as he outworked much of his opponents to outclass them.

I was always up early, as the two of us would hit the drills, bike, treadmill 2 hours before the actual training even started. When the rest of the team suffered from hangovers.

My role in the club grew even more, as Jose had a chat with me in his office.

'Nice to meet you, Dexter.' He grinned. 'Now, I saw your game against Arsenal. That was something to rebirth our side. I think the partnership between you and Axel is really good.'