Slip and Slide

I got named Man-of-the-Match once again, felt exuberant after guiding them to hyet another win. But this joy was to be short-lived. 

The post-match partying was ridiculous, champagne slopping all over the penthouse. 

I slipped out of the dressing room, heading back to the field to practice. 

Same routine, the same way for 7 years since I was 11 years old.  

Pass, hustle, volley, dribble, pick one of three zones to put your front three into, and then run to support. 

It carried on for about an hour, and soon enough, I was back at the hotel, taking an early night after getting  a Subway dinner. 

Our complacency was costing us, as we began to slump out of form. 

Against Fullham, they were not focused, failing to read the passes and plays, slipping and missing the ball totally. 

I threw my hands in the air, frustrated with the level of play.  

I got the slack, as being blamed as the problem. 

Against Wolves, Leicester, and Brighton, we suffered several more agonizing defeats, slipping to 13th in the league. 

I lost my enthusiasm, retreating further and further into the double pivot, often finding things hopeless, and playing the ball back, dropping back as a third pivot.  

It seemed like we could slip into relegation, if this slump continued. 

Slapping the ground after a third consecutive lost, I was  paralysed on the grass, struck by the shock of the flip back to failure. 

Axel and I grew half-hearted on morning practices, with lacklustre shots and half-hearted passes. 

The discontent had reached an all-time high, as Newcastle awaited. 

This was the once chance, we had to turn around the season, as we'd then have a 3-match series up against Tottenham, and following that we'd face Burnley, Brentford, and several other derby clubs. I feared for the worst, of the worst possible losing streak in Chelsea history and relegation.