Chapter 4: First Breakfast

In the morning, Smg0 sat Niles down at the kitchen table with his tea, bacon, and eggs. Then he walked down the hallway to Kayla's room and knocked on the door thrice.

"Hello? Kayla, are you awake?" Smg0 asked through the door. After a moment, Kayla's voice responded.

"Yea. Kayla is awake." Kayla mumbled softly through the door.

"Okay! Then get ready, because breakfast is downstairs!" Smg0 smiled and waited for Kayla to come out. When she did, he took her hand and led her to the kitchen. He noticed that she seemed to be a bit confused.

"Is everything okay, Kayla?" Smg0 asked, worriedly.

"Yea...." Kayla mumbled.

"Okay then. I made bacon and eggs, do you like that? If not, I can make something else!" Smg0 smiled at her.

"Any food is good food. Besides veggies." Kayla answered with.

Smg0 giggled to himself. The natural response from a child. "Well, here we are!" He told her. Kayla nodded in response.

Upon opening the door, Smg0 waved at Niles and sat Kayla down with her food and drink, then sat down himself. He tried to make small talk with Kayla, but she seemed to be stuck in her own world while eating. Niles noticed that she didn't seem to eat much of her food either.

"Hey kid, you good? You haven’t eaten much of your food." Niles asked. Kayla didn't really answer. "KI-ID. Im talking to ya." He said more loudly. Smg0 elbowed him.

Kayla flinched but snapped back to reality. "Sorry, Mr. Dad Guy..."

"It's okay, dear!" Smg0 smiled. "We're just trying to understand you better."

"......ok...." Kayla spoke softly.

Niles couldn't help but feel regret for shouting at her. Regret. Ugh. That was his most hated feeling in existence. Whatever, he had to fix this.

".....Hey kid, there's an art supplies shop downtown. You wanna go to it when we're done?"

Kayla perked up at the sound of it but quickly went quiet again. She nodded sheepishly after fidgeting for a minute. Smg0 smiled at Niles, more than happy that he was actually trying to make a good impression on Kayla.

"That sounds really fun! We'll go right after we finish breakfast. If that's okay, of course." Smg0 smiled excitedly.

Kayla stayed quiet but nodded.

"Okay then!"

Soon enough, they were all done with their breakfast and were getting in the car. Kayla sat in the backseat, kicking her feet back and forth.

"Hey... Zero?" Niles stopped Smg0 before he got in.

"Yeah? What is it, Niles?" Smg0 responded with.

"...I dont think Kayla likes me all that much-" Niles started, but Smg0 cut him off.

"Niles, dont talk about yourself like that. You're doing great. She just needs some time to adjust, that's all." He comforted him with.

Niles smiled after thinking for a moment.

"Yeah. Thanks, Zero. Love you."

"Love you too, honey. Now let's get Kayla some art supplies!"