𝟎. 𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐈 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐊𝐄𝐑.

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

❛ 𝐢 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐠𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐲 𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐚 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮.❜

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

─── ♊︎ ───

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
────────────────────────────────

If you'd had asked Malachai Parker, the witch would've said it started with animals. The fascination he had with life. The fascination he had with the end of it.

It started off small. Insignificant. Nothing with feelings, or that could hurt him back. Insects and other critters.

He enjoyed being the one his family called to rid the living room of the spider hiding in the darkest corner. He enjoyed entrapping the arachnid with a glass, sliding a sheet of paper underneath and carrying it off to his room. His family thought he would simply free it out his window, maybe observe the spider for a few minutes — he had always been interested in the strange and the macabre, after all — but Kai always had different plans.

He would set the faux-enclosure down on his window sill, lifting the glass just a crack to coax the invertebrate out. Only to lower the glass, watching with amazement as the rim of the glass slowly but surely crushed the innocent creature. How it's legs would expand and contract with panic, scrambling to save itself. How Kai's ears would tingle as the exoskeleton created a dreadful cracking sound as the spider was inevitably sliced in half. The odd feeling of relief that would wash over him once the creature stopped twitching, eight hairy legs pointed in the most angular of ways and eerily still. The type of stillness that only death is capable of.

Kai's fascination only grew from there.

The eight-legged creatures soon turned into four.

Lizards that he would find scattering around his back garden. Pouncing on the creature, hands latching around it's small, scaly body. Sometimes he would squeeze. Squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze. Until it's eyes would bulge from the lidless sockets and pop with a grotesque sound. And sometimes he would bring it back to his bedroom, locking the door behind him and setting up shop at his desk. His switchblade came in handy a lot of the time.

Lizards turned into rodents. Wild rabbits and mice mostly, but it was an extra special day for Kai when he got his hand on a pet. A white rabbit. Blue collar wrapped around it's neck. Name tag dangling from the leather, not that Kai bothered to check. He didn't care for names. He didn't care for the personification of an inconsequential being. He didn't care about being caught as he took the rabbit from it's pen. He didn't care as he stuffed it into a box, laying it's fate in the tree stump in his garden. And he didn't care as he pressed the switchblade to it's throat. And slashed.