Realization

Y/n's POV

It's a boring day, no containment breaches or nothing. I stand outside a testing chamber as researchers inside perform tests. I'm on standby if anything goes south. After twenty minutes, they exit the room. One of them approaches me and tells me I'm excused. They walk away as I stand debating on what to do next. "Alright, shift's over. What to do?"

I think for a minute. "Hmm... Let's go check on Carson." He's probably with Lawrence. I trudge down the corridor. Eventually, after a few turns, I spot Carson. And just as I predicted, he's with Lawrence. They both stand outside a containment cell, both are clearly bored out of their minds.

Carson leans back on the wall and sighs. "Man, am I bored!" Lawrence glances at him. "If you're so bored, might as well kill yourself, right?" He starts laughing. For once, Carson isn't amused, he doesn't say a word. He remains silent as I look in disbelief.

Did he just insult my baby bro...?

"Hey Carson! Since your parents are gone, why not kill yourself?!"

NO! Not this again!

"Leave him alone!"

They turn in my direction. "Oh, Y/n. Is something-?" I don't let him finish. I stand between them, pushing Lawrence away from my baby bro. He steps back, surprised. "Whoa, what did I-?" "You think you can talk to my brother like that, huh?"

Carson starts to say. "Sis, he didn't mean to-." I cut him off. "Well, fun fact. You can't! Not while I'm around." He explains. "Y/n, I didn't mean anything. I-." "You need to start thinking about what you say before you say it."

I grab Carson's wrist. "Now, if you excuse me. Carson and I would rather be elsewhere." I drag him away as he glances at Lawrence who stands confused at what just happened.

Once we're far enough away, he pulls away from my grasp. He looks at me, annoyed. "What the hell was that for? Even I knew he was just joking." I stare at him. "You don't understand, you're the baby brother. I'm the older sister, I'm the one who's supposed to keep you safe, remember?"

He stutters before stating. "I am aware of that, but... it seems like you someti- Who am I kidding? Always take it a little too far. Up to the point of being overprotective." "You need to consider the childhood we chose to have." He glares at me sternly. "Do I or do you?"

He walks away, probably to find Lawrence and apologize for the whole ordeal. I remain standing in place, dumbfounded. Is he right, am I a bit overprotective? I need somewhere to think... The roof is always a good place.

I turn and start walking, the stairs soon coming into my view. I tread up, the flights pass me as I ascend upward. Eventually I reach a door and open it. I step out, the sun gleaming down on me as I breathe in the clean air. I walk back and forth, pacing myself as I contemplate my thoughts. "Let's see. Mom and dad always told me to keep Carson safe, but the way he describes my methods of protection..hmm..."

I sigh. "Who am I kidding? He's right." Has Carson been getting smarter or am I blind? I put my hand on my head. "I've been a fool lately... I better apologize to Lawrence." I head in the direction of the stairs. I start descending.

After a few flights, I exit onto one of the floors. I walk throughout the site in search of Lawrence. Luckily, it seemed like god realized my mistake. "Hey Y/n!" I look in the direction of the voice, Lawrence approaches me from down the hall.

He stops in front of me. "Look, I'm sorry. Carson explained everything and you're right, I wasn't thinking about what I was saying. I don't expect you to forgive me-. "No, it's me who should be sorry." He glances up. "I overreacted, I just wanted to protect my brother."

He raises his hands. "I understand, I would want to protect Carson from trouble." He extends his hand out. "So, are we good then?" I shake his hand. "We're good." He lets go as a new voice speaks. "Hey Lawrence!"

We turn, Carson comes before us. "I was wondering where you went, buddy. It's almost time to resume our shift." "Oh right! I didn't realize how much time flew by," he realizes. He glances at me "See you later."

They saunter away, leaving me once again alone. I sigh. "At least, I know he has one good friend out there... I better get back to my post." I turn and walk down the corridor, thinking about my decisions as a child.

4/22/23