Chapter 5

Archie's POV

I did not sleep well last night. Ethan was so quiet. Usually Zac rolls around a bit and sighs when he realises he's the only one still awake. Sharing a bunk with Ethan was like sharing a bunk with a rock. 

I open my eyes to Zachary leaning over me. "Are. You. Awake. Yet!" he shouts in my face.

I groan and roll over.

"He's up," Zachary announces. 

Zac nudges me. "Come on," he coaxes quietly. "We're going to be late for breakfast."

"Go without me," I mumble sleepily.

"You heard the man." Zachary heads for the door.

Zac sighs and sits down on my bed. "Please?" He leans closer. "Don't leave me alone with him."

I open my eyes to see only Zac and Zachary are still here. The others have all left. "Fine." I drag myself out of bed reluctantly. Even though it's summer, it feels cold outside the bed. 

Zac's eyes light up when he sees my pyjama bottoms. I look down and see a collection of tiny Disney characters scattered around on a navy blue background.

"What?"

Zac shakes his head, trying not to laugh. "Nothing. I love it."

I glare at him as I pull clothes out of my duffle bag. He used to have the same pair of pyjama bottoms. Our parents gave them to us two years ago for Christmas but Zac had a growth spurt the following year so he can't wear them anymore. Luckily, I grew before I got the pyjamas, so they still fit. 

As soon as I've changed into my shorts, I ball up the pyjamas and throw them at Zac. He ducks and they land on the floor. He smirks as I pick up the pyjama pants.

"Can we go now?" Zachary asks, reminding me of his existence.

"Sure."

We leave for the now table-filled mess hall. As soon as we arrive, Zac runs to the line by the self-serve. 

The first morning of camp is always the best. They serve a bit of everything. There are pancakes, waffles, toast, cereal, eggs, bacon and a variety of fruit and yogurt. Zac fills a cup almost halfway with milo as I catch up to him. He tops up his drink with a thin layer of milk. I copy him before we move on to the food. He gets waffles and I get pancakes.

I search the room for Zac's friends as he soaks his waffles in syrup. I myself am more of a Nutella person. I spot Finn and Freddie at a table in the middle of the room. Zac and I push gently past chairs to get to them. 

"Morning," Freddie says, smiling at us.

Finn wrinkles his nose at our drinks. "What is that?"

My eyebrows shoot up. "You've never heard of cold milo?" I turn to Zac as I sit down. "He's never heard of cold milo."

Zac smirks. "You haven't lived, dude."

Finn shrugs. "Isn't it just like hot chocolate, but cold?"

I shake my head, rendered speechless from shock. Zac watches with amusement.  "You—it—but—how?"

"Maybe you should just stop talking," Zac suggests to Finn.

He sits down next to Finn and across from me shortly before Zachary arrives. Zachary sits on Freddie's other side, leaving me to wait for Bailey, Thomas and Ethan to sit on my side of the table. I frown as I dig into my pancakes.

I've got only one pancake left when Zachary raises an eyebrow disdainfully at my plate. "Why are you eating pancakes?" He also has waffles.

"Because they're delicious?"