1 ~ sophomore year

My name is Caden Brooks, I'm a sophomore in high school. I have two older brothers called Dallas and Zachary. Zach is a senior, he plays football and wears the number 40. Dallas is in college, he plays baseball. And finally, I have a sister called maria, she's in 5th grade.
__

A terrible sound rings throughout my room, I groan as I shut it off and as soon as I do, it rings again, and I finally decide to wake up. I ran down the stairs, seeing my mom cooking only what I presumed to be breakfast.

"Oh, Caden! Are you going to join us for breakfast?" She asked still poking sizzling bacon. I grind my teeth together.

"Actually, I was gonna try and get to school early," I said, as a certain awkwardness filled the air.

"Oh well, that's fine!" She said resuming cooking the bacon, as my sister and brother both sat at the table.

I began to walk to school alone, thinking of football.  Would I make it? Would I be as good as the other kids?  My mind was filled with doubts about today. As I walked on the warm sidewalk heated by the burning bright ball in the sky, I began to gradually calm myself down. The trees swayed in the warm breeze of the eighty-two-degree august weather. Just at that moment, a familiar face walked toward me.

"Caden! What's up!" The boy said coming toward me with his hand out. I grabbed his hand smiling.

"What's up, walker!" I said smiling.

"How was your little football camp?" Walker asked, "You too good for me now?" He teased, I laughed.

When freshman year ended, in the championship game a man came up to me. He offered me a scholarship to a supposedly prestigious football camp for "wanna-be Quarterbacks," It was the first real opportunity I ever had.

"Never, it wasn't that fancy anyway. I was expecting a resort but no, it looks like every other school in Los Angeles." I said laughing. Walker chuckled.

"Still impressive," Walker said.

"Yeah, yeah," I said sarcastically.

We walked up to the school looking at each other with nervous smiles. I was a football player and so was he, and this was the start of our sophomore year.

After last year I guess I sort of have "proved myself?" but some kids didn't think so, and by some kids I mean Atlas Dawson, the now second-string Quarterback, a senior. I guess he was mad because I was so young and he had been there for 3 years, so I get why he would hate me, but it didn't mean I liked it. I walked into the school and Atlas instantly eyed me with a cold gaze.

"Brooks!" Atlas said greeting me, but it didn't feel very friendly. I looked up a little taking my eyes off the floor.

"Dawson." I nodded. Atlas had an amused smile on his face as he slapped the book in my hands that read "chemistry course 1"

I clenched my jaw out of embarrassment as I looked to Walker who had already found some freshman to talk to. I rolled my eyes as a girl walked up to me, her blond hair was bright but dirty in a way. She had green eyes that beamed as the sunlight from the window hit her face. I recognized her she was a sophomore as well, I know because she was in my English class.

Gemma? No. Emma. Emma Callahan.

"Hey, sorry about him," she said as she eyed him in pity. I looked at her with shades of confusion tracing my eyes.

"I'm Emma, I'm his girlfriend." She said explaining, i nodded my head honestly a little disappointed.

"You are?" She said

Ouch, she really just asked who I was.

"Oh, I'm Caden Brooks," I said holding out my hand as she shook it willfully. She squinted her eyes.

"Oh your that kid who went to that football camp, Atlas always goes on about it." She said as she looks at him.

"Oh well, I gotta go, but it was nice to meet you!" she said hopping up, chasing Atlas down, as he said something to her I could only assume was about me.

I sat down in English class, my first period. Emma was there, I didn't realize I was staring at her. She looked at me and smiled waving her hand at me. I waved back.

I girl walked into the classroom, with dark brown hair, almost red to be honest, she sat down beside me, looked to the side and I saw her blue eyes stare straight into mine. I looked away instantly to look back to see she was still looking at me. I lightly chuckled.

__

"Come on boys hustle!" the coach yelled from the sidelines.

"Alright, we don't do tryouts here. So when I point at you, you're in. If I don't, well then pack up." He said as he put air quotes around the word "tryouts"

I winced at this sentence.

What if he didn't point at me? Would it be over
====================================
Hey guys! This story has been in my docs for years but I've improved in writing since, lol! Im open to suggestions on writing and story arches, but I'm excited to share this story so please don't be mean otherwise 12 year old me would be devastated.
Short chapter because this is a test run!

903 words
Xoxo, alliestories_