3 ~

Sweat dripped down my forehead through my helmet as I walked up to the line of scrimmage.

The center knelt in front of me, a wave of nervousness washed over my whole body.

Walker looked at me concerned, although I could see his face, I knew what he was thinking. I shook it off as memories from the dream about my dad flashed though my mind. I closed my eyes tightly taking my mind off it.

The game. Focus on the game Caden.

The play clock was on "28"

27

26

I signaled for the snap of the football, the sound of the pads clashing together was deafening, you would never know they'd be so loud. I scrambled back looking to Walker who was covered.

Everyone was covered.

I thought of everything I could do. Nothing. I saw an opening.

I ran forward the opening as a defensive lineman ran forward me, he was going for the feet and I knew that as he was kneeling down more and more. I timed a jump, not going more than a foot into the air.

A free safety ran forward me and didn't make the same mistake as the lineman and went for the legs and not the feet.

I was tackled at the 60 going a 20 yard rush.

I ran back over to the side where the rest of the team were. The coach pulled in the defensive lineup to set play calls.

"Alright, Luke, I need you to guard "22" with your life. Do not give up on him." The coach said sternly as Luke looked nervous but he nodded in a confident facade.

The play was difficult, Luke would have to run fast.
#22 is Jensen Hanes, big shot D1 football commit to Georgia. He was the real deal. Best wide receiver stats in high school football. I knew Luke was nervous he was a sophomore, and this guy was a senior, of course he was nervous, anyone would be.

Luke lined up to the wide receiver as Jensen nodded at him saying something incoherent. Luke shifted, I knew whatever the guy said wasn't sportsmanlike.

The quarterback snapped the ball Jensen took off, Luke short behind him. He looked strained, he was running harder than he could take.

The ball came soaring towards them as Jensen eyed the ball, he then jumped up, as Luke did as well. Luke swatted his hand as the ball was deflected.
The crowd cheered as Jensen ripped his helmet off with a small look of frustration and shock mixed. But Luke looked like something was wrong, he was still looking down at his feet. I ran up to Luke at the 40.

"Luke, are you good?" I asked as Luke looked at me, with a small glint of fear, but not enough for me to initially understand it. Luke swallowed deep.

"Yeah I'm good." He said hesitating. I doubted him.

"You sure?" I asked concerned not believing him at first. Luke nodded vigorously.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure." He said smiling to reassure me, and it worked, I went back over to the line. The team patted Luke on the back. I noticed him walk with a limp, but he did just run 20+ mph, so I understood.

The game under as the alarm went off. 33- 27 we won.

The teamed cheered in a locker room, as they patted Luke's back. They were proud of him, he had stopped a senior D1 Georgia commit.

Luke ripped his cleats off and held his leg as he took his socks off. He sat there for a minute, looking g at his legs, I eyed him as he looked back at me. I raised my eyebrow, shades of nervousness coating his eyes.

"Guys?" Luke said looking at the smiling players. They looked at him.

"Uh I think something's wrong." Luke am said with fear in his eyes.

"Luke pull up your pant legs." I told him. He raised his pant leg, revealing a swollen knee, bruised and blue. I widened my eyes. Luke winced.

"It's not that bad, right?" Luke said fearful. I leaned over to Walker.

"We gotta tell coach." I said to him as Walker nodded and walked off to get the coach.

====================================
THE END.

712 words.
Xoxo, Alliestories_