day zero

LIV

When I look at him, I think about death.

He had done nothing to me. Not even a single glance my way. He had done nothing wrong. Yet everyone, including me, have countless of unfortunate thoughts when we see him.

That must've been why he started acting this way.

"You will leave a dent on the back of his head if you keep on watching him intently from afar."
Cassandra said as she lean forward to me, staring at the guy who don't even notice me drilling a hole on the back of his head.

"I still can't understand why you have this sudden interest on him."
Me neither. Maybe it's the movie we watched last week, or the book I've read last month, or is it a phase where I care about people whom I usually don't?

Whatever the reason is, I don't find the need to know.

The sound of a sudden chair screeching makes everyone halt and turn to see the culprit. Except for him who does not move a muscle for the last eight minutes and thirty-three seconds.

"Are you suddenly into depressed guys after the movie we watched last week?"
The girl who never know when to shut up ask me.

I would love to entertain someone with all the theories I have about the "depressed guy" in question. But Cassandra, with her big mouth, will let every students in this school know within a few seconds.

You don't need such things as social media as long as you have Cassandra, she's like a walking gossip reporter.

Not quite catching on the fact that I'm in no mood to talk, she continues, "I heard that he is cursed in some kind of way. I suggest you should not pay much attention to him or you would catch his curse."

I don't believe in things like curse. But I do believe in stupidity.

Everyone in this school, including me, have it. Stupidity.

If not, why does no one ever tried to approach him for the last three years we've been attending the same place? Because of some stupid belief that a teenager made up where every one of people he is contact with always end up being dead?

I've been thinking about this for three years now, it grows into my only interest since last month.

So I finally do what I always have in my mind.

He still does not move even when I'm standing directly in front of him. As if he does not notice me approaching, or he just doesn't care.

"Hi."
No response.

"I'm Olivia."
He does not even blink.

"Excuse me?"

"I just wanted to.."
I drift off, the reason being I don't know what I wanted from him. And the fact that he doesn't even seem to care does not help.

"I guess I'll see you later."

Well, it's better than not doing anything at all.