Eighteen

Jay

Tuesday,
September 27th

"This food better taste as good as it looks!" My mother said from across the table

"It won't disappoint. Trust me!"

After months of minor surgeries and chemo, we finally found out a few days ago that her cancer was now in remission. With that step now behind us, we just had to play the waiting game and pray it never returned. Despite the possibility of that happening, it seemed like Moms had a new outlook on life and I was more than grateful to know she'd have a little more time with us here on earth.

The first thing I wanted to do when I got some free time was to take her out to celebrate so Poppy + Rose was my first choice.

Bey and I used to come all of the time when we first discovered it. It was a vibrant spot downtown with an exceptional menu and quaint vibes. The fact that it was black owned was also a plus. I knew she'd appreciate that little fact as well when I offered to take her to breakfast this morning.

Scooping up a small portion of eggs, sausage gravy, and a biscuit, she took a bite and quickly gave an approving nod.

"Good right?" I chuckled following a small sigh of relief. If not easily impressed was a person, it'd be her.

"Delicious!"

"Well eat up!" I motioned towards the number of options we'd ordered. Considering our growing appetites, it didn't take long for us to make majority of it disappear.

Somewhere towards the end of our meal and a random conversation about politics, Beyonce texted diverting my attention to my phone. She had a hair appointment this morning and her indecisiveness resulted in her sending me pictures and asking which style of braids she should get.

You'll look good in either one!

😑You are NOT being very helpful right now...

Although I was honest, I shook my head and randomly picked one just so she could stop stressing.

"My bad...that was Bey." Not wanting to be rude, I explained and put my phone back in the corner of the table. My mother clearly didn't mind because when I looked up she was leaning back, sighing, and tucking her hands comfortably in her lap. That -itis was taking over quick.

"Where's my girl at today? She didn't want to come?"

A smile quickly took over my face hearing that. Their relationship had grown so much in the time she'd been here and knowing that just gave me one less thing to worry about.

"Nah..She had a hair appointment. It's all about you today!"

The mahogany shade of her cheeks managed to turn red perfectly matching the head wrap she wore.