Anxiety Disorders and One Night Stands: A Short Story

This is my first attempt at writing in 3rd Person POV!

I wanted to just write a short NaruHina lemon, but it turned out much longer.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Hinata Hyuuga had a terrible day, to put it lightly. It all started in the morning, right after clocking in for her part-time shift at the cafe. Despite Icha Cafe being the only of its kind, it was overwhelmingly successful, and there had even been recent talk about opening a few more locations.

Usually, she either made the drinks or worked the drive-through window because the shy girl didn't do well when facing unruly or rude customers. Today, though, Sakura called in sick. Hinata knew better. Yesterday was Friday, meaning the pink-haired girl went clubbing with Ino like she does almost every weekend. It's almost certain she was simply hungover.

If the owner, Jiraiya, didn't think Sakura was so attractive, and Sakura didn't flirt with him because she was aware of the fact, she'd have been fired long ago for how often she didn't come to work. All of the employees are young women between the ages of eighteen and twenty-three, as a matter of fact.

When Hiashi Hyuuga heard where his eldest daughter had chosen to gain work experience while attending college, he was so angry he threatened to make her move back home. Neji and Hanabi had to talk the man down, explaining that it was Hinata's choice now that she was an adult.

And that she was: an adult.

After having some particularly disabling panic and anxiety disorder issues, the family doctors and therapists all but demanded the heiress take a gap year before attending school. She blamed her father for the social conditions because he forced her to be homeschooled by hired professionals. So, at age nineteen, Hinata was a year behind those her age at Konoha Private College, struggling to figure out how to befriend someone, anyone.

With trembling fingers and her very best attempt at a casual smile, Hinata took order after order and insult after insult from snobby, entitled customers who probably didn't have another outlet for their frustrations. Her blood pressure was so high by the time her shift ended that she spent ten minutes in her car with the windows rolled up and the air conditioner on full-blast to calm down.

Then she returned to her dorm, which she shared with a bubbly woman named Tenten, who was twenty-one, the same age as her cousin Neji. She was tan, tall, and easy-going, meaning she had plenty of friends. In fact, Tenten had tried many times in the three weeks they'd lived together to convince Hinata to hang out, but the Hyuuga girl panicked each time and found an excuse. Afterward, she'd internally curse at herself because all she needed to do to start making friends like she wanted was to say yes.

Fresh from the shower and in casual clothing, Hinata then attended her afternoon classes. One of her father's stipulations for allowing her to live in the dorms, work, and experience things outside the compound was that he chose all her classes. Unsurprisingly, he loaded her schedule with law-oriented lessons Monday through Saturday. He'd indeed have signed her up for Sunday classes, too, if any professors offered them.

The Hyuuga family is famous for breeding incredibly successful lawyers, attorneys, and even a few court judges in the past. Hinata herself was expected to follow in her family's footsteps, despite having a disposition that severely opposes that line of work. In her own opinion, she'd better thrive as a teacher, preferably of younger children, or at least some office job where encountering consumers face to face wasn't necessary.

In the two classes Hinata attended, she struggled to focus for a number of reasons, many pertaining to her inability to control her anxiety. Living amongst the public, far away from the protective walls of the compound, was scary. By no means did she expect the adjustment to be a cakewalk, but she also hadn't foreseen the atmospheric shock that'd left her mentally and physically reeling since day one. Hinata wasn't sleeping or eating well, and her anxiety medication wasn't enough to quell her unease.