Chapter 22: Rainy Days - December 5, 2011

~ Jade's P.O.V. ~

----------------------

A/N: The next few chapters may be a little slow moving but then it'll pick up again. But after Julia's story and the pregnancy/witch revelation, I think a few calmer chapters won't be so bad.

"Just a little pinch, dear," the phlebotomist tied the tourniquet tightly around my slender arm, firmly pressing her fingers against the soft crook of my arm. Once she found her spot, I felt the wet coolness of the small alcohol pad swipe across my skin, listening her fiddling in the background. "Breathe deeply."

I winced as I felt the small needle slide under my skin with a pinch. I heard her changing the tubes rapidly, the needle staying in place though I felt slight movements on occasion.

"Done," she concluded as she slid the needle out, pressing gauze onto the small barely visible puncture wound as she placed a sticky bandage over it.

I thanked her as my mother and I were transferred to the exam room, waiting for the results (A/N: I think in reality it takes a few days instead of a few minutes but I'm just leaving it like this). We already knew the home pregnancy test was likely right, but we wanted confirmation. To my relief, the doctor was a young woman. I was ashamed that my first time at my new doctor's office in Los Angeles was the result of my pregnancy but she made me feel a bit better.

As the doctor came into the room, she smiled at us before opening my manila file and extracting the test results. Her name was Dr. Esrin Sahin, a Turkish woman with honey colored eyes set against slightly tanned skin, her dark brown hair tied up in a neat bun.

"I think you already know the news I'm about to give you," she spoke softly. "You are definitely pregnant."

There it was, the confirmation. There was no turning back now. I was a mother-to-be, a little life growing inside my belly. However, I did not react extremely strongly as we had basically known the news for a while now.

"How far along?" I asked.

"Six weeks or so. You know, I thought I was pregnant twice at your age," she placed her hand on my arm, smiling sympathetically.

"You did?" I looked up at her as I sat on the exam table, still dressed in the paper gown; the only fabric remaining on me was my underwear.

"Yup," she sighed. "Unprotected sex both times. My period was late and I was vomiting. Turns out I was only having those symptoms because I was stressed about the possibility of pregnancy. I never told my parents though. They were very religious Muslims so they would have been furious."

"Oh," I whispered, looking down as my eyes flitted up to meet hers. "But at least you were one of the lucky ones. I wanted to be a doctor like you. Well - a medical examiner, but still."

"You'll find your dream," she smiled, her lips pressed together as she rose from her seat.

"Thank you so much, Dr. Sahin," I shook her hand.

"Anytime. I'll see you in a couple of weeks to check in on you and the baby, alright?"

"Thank you," I told her, heading out the door.

"How are you doing, darling?" my mother asked me as she drove away from the doctor's office. "I know this is really hard on you, but I promise you once that baby comes out you'll want to do everything you can for him or her."

"I already feel that way," I whispered. "And thanks for not flipping out."

"I had no choice," she sighed. "I was seventeen when I found out I was pregnant with you. I thought you'd at last break the cycle but I can't be a hypocrite."