Three. It Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be

Nathan Daughtler rolled over to check his clock. 3:00 am. He rolled back over and drew his comforter closer to his body. He listened carefully as he heard footsteps downstairs in the lobby of the building. He threw back the covers and slid on a t-shirt and shoes as he locked his door and came down the stairs.

"Hey, Abby," He said to one of his neighbors. "What's going on?"

When he got closer, he could see her eyes were filled with tears and she was very visibly upset and somewhat terrified. Daughtler approached her slowly.

"Hey. What's wrong?"

Abby drew in a shuddering breath and sighed, tearily, as she wiped her face quickly.

    "George is dead."

    "What?" Daughtler asked after a moment. "George Easton? In 3B? How? Where?"

    "I don't know but... The whole building is saying..."

    "Abby. What are they saying?"

She drew in another breath and sighed.

    "He was murdered, Nate."

Daughtler pulled away from Abby and swallowed.

    "Take me to him, Abby."

    "They're all down there already."

    "Who, Abby?"

    "The police."

    "Okay," Daughtler said, as he took a breath himself. "Is anyone else down there with them?"

    "No. Oh, god, Nate. What are we gonna do?"

Daughtler put his hands on her shoulders and looked at her.

    "Abby, everything is gonna be fine. Go back to your apartment. I'll be there real soon, okay?"

    "Okay. Wait, where are you going?"

Daughtler took out his phone and dialed a number.

    "I'm calling my team."

Jack Duncan groaned and pulled the pillow off his head to grab the ringing phone on his nightstand.

    "This better be good."

    "Agent Duncan, it's Director Daughtler."

Now Jack was wide awake.

    "Daughtler? What's happening?"

    "I need you at the apartment building on Temple and Valley. There's been an incident."

    "Wait, isn't that where you live?" Duncan asked.

    "Just get yourself and the rest of the team here and I'll explain."

Jack was confused, exhausted, and felt just flat-out disgusting from just getting off a 16-hour shift but it was the director and his tone made Jack nervous so he obeyed. He called Windsor and the rest of the team right away after Daughtler hung up- they were as groggy and confused as Jack was- and quickly dressed in more casual work clothes. It was the middle of the night- he assumed the director didn't care if he was wearing jeans instead of suit pants. Jack jumped in his car, inputting the address of the director's apartment building, and drove to him as fast as he could. When he got there, Windsor and the rest of the team were leaning against the building. Angel Roberts was fast asleep. When Windsor saw Duncan approach, she nudged Roberts who jumped and almost slipped down the brick. Conrad managed a snicker. Sarah and Bass did nothing.

    "These early mornings give me a headache," He groaned to Duncan. "Why are we here?"

    "The director needs our help, Agent Roberts," Tiffany Windsor said with an up-and-down glance toward Jack as if she had seen him naked.