Fourteen. The Missing Piece

Daughtler had never known such pain and such love. He had stopped to question why he was so hung up on Diane. He didn't have an answer until he had a moment one day: it was because no one had ever understood him like her. And now that she was gone, he felt hopeless he would ever find someone like her. Diane knew what it was like to be in the spotlight while doing your job. She knew how hard it was to balance family with... well, everything. It sucked. But it sucked less because Diane Hansley understood it. And was able to stand with him. She knew what it was like to do and accomplish so much but still feel like you were inferior. She knew... how to love. And Daughtler knew there was no one truly like her. Which is why the conversation he knew he was about to have with his father and Nico would be pointless.

    "Did you really come all this way just to tell me 'I told you so?" Daughtler deadpanned. "Nevermind, I should have guessed it."

    "We don't mean to do that, Nathan," Dan Daughtler said while Nico smirked in the corner.

    "No, Dad, of course you never mean to do anything and you and Mr. Grinner over there are perfect," Daughtler said, glaring at his father.    

    "Nathan, we just want you to be safe. Your job is dangerous as it is and-"

    "You know what, Dad? Nico? Go to hell. I know what I did was wrong but don't tell me I told you so when I know you both have been in love before. I damn well sure you know what it feels like. Dad, I know you would do anything for Mom. Nico. I see the way Faith looks at you. And I see the way you look at her. I wouldn't be surprised when you come to me to tell me you're gonna marry her. You may think I know nothing and that I'm just a stupid idiot kid who has no idea what he's doing- hell," Daughtler laughed and put his hands on his hips. "I do have no idea what I'm doing. I'm trying to catch this killer who moves every second we get close and I suck at my job. Okay, Dad? Nico? Is that what you want to hear?"

Dan Daughtler and Nico shared a look as Dan moved forward to touch his son's wrist.

    "Nathan, I-"

    "Get out, Dad," the director said, lowly and dangerously.

    "Nathan-"

    "Get. The. Hell. Out," Daughtler said, his eyes and body showing how furious he was. His family looked at him before Dan opened the door and ushered Nico out. The door closed and Daughtler sank into his chair, his head down on the desk.

"Seriously? He is not better than Gretzky!" Conrad Guerrero shot at Roman Bass. "I don't know what planet you're on, man, but-"

    "Conrad," Sarah Mercia appeared at the door to the conference room, causing the two men to turn toward her. "Can we talk?"

    "Sure," Conrad said, tossing the ball back to Bass before he walked out and followed Sarah into the hallway.

    "Not here. My office," Mercia said as she continued walking, Conrad trailing behind her. When they reached the door, Sarah opened it and let Conrad in before she shut it closed behind them and locked it.

    "Oh, so... you finally ready to address the energy between us?" Conrad said as he stepped closer to Sarah but she backed away. "Oh."

    "We need to talk, Conrad," Sarah said as she sat in her desk chair while Guerrero took a seat in front of her. "Uh... Remember when I bailed on an evidence run because I needed to sign divorce papers?"

Conrad just nodded.

    "Uh, yeah. Um, Conrad, I... retracted them."

    "You what?" He said after a moment.